Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Saratoga 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by radi8, Sep 23, 2004.

1. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    i own a KH4, so i am familiar with the MTD line.
    Can someone gimme some feedback on the MTD Saratoga 5.

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I've owned both. Although the Saratoga is also made in Korea, the difference is substantial. It has the same hipshot bridge and tuners that Mike uses on his American series basses. It also has Bartolini PU's and preamp. Finally, the top is not a veneer like the Heir but rather a real 1/8" piece of tiger maple. The bass feels much more solid than their Heir. It has a more versatile and articulate sound, yet still maintains the playability that MTD's are known for

Mike

BTW, my old one (in new condition) is FS at Parkway Music in Clifton Park, NY - http://www.parkwaymusic.com/

This is a first class shop. If your interested in the bass, tell them that I sent you

3. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
  4. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    I appreciate the info:
    i am about to delve into the world of the five string and have my eye on: Saratoga 5,Dingwall Afterburner,Warwick Corvette or a used Warwick FNA Jazzman 5.

decisions, decisions,

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The Saratoga 5 that I had is in MINT condition. I just traded it in on Monday. Personally I am not a Warwick fan. If you love the MTD neck, you might really dislike the Warwick. I love Sheldon Dingwall's work but I do a lot of chords and chord melody and the fanned frets just don't work for me

Mike

6. xprookie

xprookie

Aug 23, 2006

Hi Mike, I'm new to the forum, but I just bought a MTD Saratoga 5 from Parkway, would this be your former bass?

Thanks! Ron

http://www.parkwaymusic.com/guitars/images/mtdsaratoga.jpg

7. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    I have a MTD Saratoga 5 I bought about four years ago. It plays great, has most sustain of any basses I've ever played. Best acoustic sound of a electric bass. BUT plug it in and its thin sounding. I have since restrung it with a high-C and use it that way.

I'm trying to decide if I want to mod' mine to get a fatter sound since everything else about it is great, or just sell it. I highly recommend playing a Saratoga 5 before buying.

8. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I played that very same bass at Parkway, great shop.

9. xprookie

xprookie

Aug 23, 2006
    Thanks so much for the feedback, and I did have the chance to demo a brand new one. I love the feel of the neck and the barts. I'm a MTD newbee, (always wanted a Tobias Bass as a kid!) been a Carvin LB 75 player for the past 12 years (spent 6 years in music retirement racing Ironman Triathlons). I used my good friend's MTD American one night at our gig, and never wanted to touch my Carvin again!

When I demoed the Saratoga, I was impressed with the sound, feel, and I wanted to get one. I couldn't afford an MTD 535, but would like to get one down the road... I'll let you know how things go...thanks!!!