Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Saratoga (or Grendel) V vs Conklin GT-5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SummerSoft, Jun 18, 2005.

bass for soul, funk, r&b...

Poll closed Jul 5, 2005.
  1. MTD Saratoga V

17.9%
  2. MTD Grendel V

32.8%
  3. Conklin GT-5

49.3%
  1. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    I need a bass for playing Soul, Funk, R&B, Hip-Hop and even some Reggae, so I'd be thankful if you could suggest me what bass is better for playing such music.
    Or do you have any other ideas of some other basses in the same price range?

Thanks

2. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    Do you think I should look for Conklin GT-5 or MTD Saratoga V? And what is the sound difference between Saratoga and Grendel?

3. Saratoga V and Grendel Vs are essentially the same but i believe the grendel is alder and i know the Saratoga is basswood. The Grendel was manufactured in Czech Republic and the new Saratogas are Korean.

I own one of each and they essentially are the same, well my Saratoga is fretless and 5 and rosewood... Both are great basses, which i can't say for the GT-5 as i haven't tried it out yet.

Best advice - go for what you want, play each then come back and tell us which you bought. (By the way Grendels in transblack are hot! I saw one last night)

4. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    That is a good advice, but the problem is that I can't play any of these basses in my country. I would have to order them in from USA.
    That's why I would be thankful on your opinions.

5. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Are these your only choices?

If not, I'd also suggest a Lakland 55-02 Series Bass or having Nino Valenti Build you a Bass if you have the time.

www.lakland.com
    www.valentibasses.com

6. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    Thanks guys.
    Anybody played Conklin and MTD so he could compare them? Which one is better quality? Which one is better sounding for the music I mentioned?
    Thanks again

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The MTD's have a wide, but thin and assymeticaly neck. If I remember correctly the Conkilins have a deeper, rounder and thicker neck profile. I like the MTD necks quite a bit

Mike

8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

The Saratoga, because thats my hometown LOL

Rob

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Rob,
    been a while - ever pick up an amp?

Mike

10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Hey Mike. NO and I need to. Still leaning toward the Ea combo

I've considered the Epifani but havent had a chance to try one out. Its more $ than the EA and I dont know if its worth the extra. Keep me in mind if something comes up

Rob

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    the Grendels were Poplar ( or Domestic Tulipwood) and the Saratogas are Basswood.
    The MTD's have full string spacing ( 19mm ) while the Groove Tools have narrower spacing, not sure how narrow.
    I would lean toward the MTD- both are very nice.

12. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

The Lakeland is a great bass, as is the one I voted for (MTD Saratoga)..but I would have to give the nod to a Ken Smith for that particular style of music....just my opinion.

13. The Grendel is defo my fav out of those three.... the GT-5 has the sound but the narrow spacing isn't to my taste (though they are both equally matched its just a matter of opinion as with most of these things)...

A good old fashioned P-Bass would do nicely as well depending if you want to do for a retro soul/funk sound... or also I have found both the Peavy Cirrus and Yam TRB5-II both to be particually good at pulling of those funky grooves....