Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Saratoga

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Are these basses out yet? How do they sound? What is the fit and finnish like?

Why does MTD use bass wood on their non-US models? Doesn't bass wood dent really easily?

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    they have been out- fit and finish are fine- they sound like the Grendels- very growly and aggresive- the bart j's are very punchy- cool slap sound- Basswood is a good wood for bodies- sometimes found in VERY expensive basses- because its cheaper and found on Saratogas and Kingston it doesnt make it a bad wood- the flame tops ive seen have been very nice-

3. It's funny, you don't see them at ANY of the dealers yet.

I'm anxious to try one...or two...or three....or....

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    heres one that i had in the shop for a minute
    [​IMG]

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Did you see Mike Dimin's comments on TB???

The Saratogas get his thumbs-up and that's "nuff said" for me.

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Pretty neat. Looks exactly like the Grendel, though I assume the neck isn't Wenge.

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    the necks on the Grendels werent wenge, either- they offered wenge fingerboards, but all necks were maple- the Saratoga bodies are basswood, and the fingerboards either maple or rosewood, i believe-

8. Adrian,
    Are the electronics any different? Still Bart single coils? 3-position mid switch or push-pull passive?

Also, what is Mike's roll in their construction or distribution? Does he do any set up on these?

Inquiring minds want to know.

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

FWIW - I don't think I've ever seen/heard pickup magnets described like the Saratoga's are;

- "ceramic AND STEEL" :confused:

10. Do you have anymore pictures Adrian?

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    here you go...
    [​IMG]

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    back....
    [​IMG]

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    peghead..
    [​IMG]

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I played one at Bass Emporium in Austin. Had a really fast neck but the tone on this particular bass wasn't my thing. It had a maple fingerboard and the tone was ultra snappy with a fairly thin sounding high end. There was a rosewood fb model there but I didn't have time to play it. Methinks I would have found that one more fitting to my ears. Like I said though, played great. I should have played the Roscoe LG-3000 last as everything else I played sounded ho-hum after that one!

brad cook

15. DannyG

DannyG

Feb 23, 2002
    A basswood body on a $1000 MIK bass? Any idea why? I've had a basswood bodied bass before (MIJ P) and it sounded great, but the downside was that it got dinged up really easily.

16. Adrian,

Did you have a chance to open the back and look in the control cavity?

Brad Cook,

How did the lows sounds on the bass you played?

17. I never got an answer about the basswood. Is basswood the really soft stuff that dents easily, or am I thinking of poplar?

18. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    well- i can only speak from my experience- and i did have an MTD 535 with a poplar body and oil finish that did ding up pretty easily - but it was an oil finish-
    on the other hand- i had an MTD Heir ( basswood) 4 that my daughter played for a while and just left laying around and generally was exposed that later, when she changed her mind about playing it- i sold as used nly because it was fair, because it looked brand new- not a ding or a scratch- so the lacquer does protect a lot- that bass shouldve had wear and it didnt-
    and no, i dont remember looking in the cavity

19. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I've been waiting to try a Saratoga also. Heading to Bass Alone tomorrow and hopefully they'll have one! I think they are the only MTD dealer in my area. Anyway, I'll let everyone know if I get to try one out.

20. All I have to say is WOW!!!