Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Saratoga

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by plester102, Mar 4, 2003.

1. I've never seen or heard one in person. Has anyone here actually played one of these? Your up close and in person opinions -- please.

I've also been unable to locate a shop with one in stock. They're always glad to order one if you will pay up front. No try outs.

I'm beginning to wonder if they actually exist!

I've never come across one on ebay. So, if they do exist they must really be keepers.

What do you think?

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I played one at Bass Emporium in Austin. My opinion from that one time was it was a great player with nice action but thin tone. The tone was just really lacking in low end chunk that I like to hear out of a bass. The highs weren't as full either. Probably has a lot of potential with an aftermarket, active preamp dropped in though. Also...I could have played a dud.

brad cook

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh and John (at Bass Emporium) currently has two 4's and a 5 in stock btw. www.bassemporium.com

[​IMG]

brad cook

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Oh great! Just when I thought that ALL of my GAS had been rectified, along comes yet another dedicated online bass store!

I'm friggin' running out of room, guys! ;)

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Don't be silly! The GAS is NEVER gone.

For instance - check out this bass from bass emporium:

[​IMG]

Oh yeah...I'm feelin' it...

It plays and sounds as good as it looks.

brad cook

6. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    No surprice, since it has basswood body. That is what I think makes also the Kingston to sound all-mids-no-bass-no-highs. Some people compensate that with an active preamp, but IMO the bass should have a nice natural tone to start with.

It might be worth trying to mate a Kingston neck with a nice alder body. Hmmm...

7. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    That's the ticket.