MTD Shop Pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joelc73, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Greetings all,

I've posted pictures of the Fodera shop in the past and people have seemed to enjoy it so I thought I'd do the same with MTD.

We just got back from a recent wood-picking excursion at Mike's shop. And as usual, Mike does not disappoint! Tons of great tops, fingerboards and body woods.

Here is the link:

2. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    Very nice, thanks for the pictures. I can't wait to order my MTD 535, hopefully soon.
  3. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Wow, loverly. I love MTD's. Ive always fancied a 635 but never really been able to afford one.
  4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    That was cool!!! Thanks!!
  5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Especially the one on the right hanging up in the first pic. Niiiiiiice...

6. I was thinking the same thing :)

Cool pics.
  7. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    No sweat. I have other photos of tops and things that we are getting if anyone wants to see more. Shoot me a PM and I'll forward them.

8. Hi Joel!

The grooveshoppe have the best pics for basses and for manufacturers' shops!
    Congrats sensationnal pics! as foderas ones...
    When for F Bass???

9. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Awesome pix! The top with the body outline penciled in looks similar to my top, so I'm guessing it's also a maple burl (?).
  10. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Yes, that is a Maple burl top (and quite a nice one!). Mike has some really good stuff stashed away. We're excited for our next run of basses from him.
  11. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Thanks Vince. We will make the trip to see George at some point. Luckily he's very good about sending us photos of pieces before we commit to any instrument.

We're really lucky to be where we are in NY because it enables us to spend time in the shop with guys like Mike and Vinnie Fodera. I don't think we could do what we do if we weren't able to do that. We're literally in the Fodera shop once a week to manage our orders - talk about tempting ;)

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Every time I've called MTD on the phone, Mike personally answered it, EVERY TIME! No answering machine or help! To me, he is a straight up guy who not only builds an incredible instrument but a man who takes pride & consideration of his products AND customers, old & new...

13. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Thanks for the pics! I love MTD basses!
  14. Thanks. We really enjoyed those, as you said we would. We all picture our basses being made in a shop like that.

Unfortunately, most basses are probably made in mega factories overseas by people who don't even know what they are making.
  15. Jazzguy

Jazzguy Banned

May 3, 2004
  16. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    MTD's have so grown on me. What amazing basses. Thanks for the tour there Joel !!!! Very cool. :bassist:
  17. Did you guys see the picture of a gibson headstock in the second photo? Perhaps his way of making a note to himself...

18. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    wow, the first pick just made me poo my pants. I think ill look at the rest :smug:
  19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Mike is a living legend. I fell in love with his work way back in '82 - visited his shop to pick out a bass a few years ago- it was around this time of the year. Kingston ( near Woodstock ) is a beautiful area.
    The pics are great.
    Didn't Mike just have , or is scheduled for shoulder surgery ?
    I wish him the speediest of recoveries. he made a joke to me about the surgery....
    "Thanks for your wishes on the surgery ..I am trying to get the doctor to
    modify my right arm....add a phillips head, flash light, mirror and magnet
    to the fingertips....better for guitar work...the surgeon is a guitar

... priceless!