Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nonsqtr, May 27, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Is anyone using MTD strings? Do you like them?

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I've used them...they're nothing special. Definitley not a bad string, but nothing to write home about.

3. I normally use them, and like them.

4. My MTD fretless 5 came with them on. They were nice for a little while, but they died soon afterwards.

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I have been told from several sources, that they are the best string for the MTD535. I think that would make sense to me. ;)

I have a set but haven't put them on my 535, yet. Still runnin' the Lo Riders on that bass.

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I sure didn't like them on the MTD imports that I have tried or currently own. Too brash for my tastes.

7. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Do people prefer the .130's or the .135's for the B string? I'm not used to the exposed core strings, and I had a bit of a time dialing in the B. At the moment there's a .135 on it, and it's fat as all get-out but it feels funny (to my fingers). Not sure if it's just me needing to get used to it, or if I should switch over to the .130.

8. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I usually go for the .130 but I've had .135's on basses before and got use to them. Tone is number one thing and you say that it nice and fat sounding.

I'd say hang with it for a bit and if the feel issue doesn't resolve - change it. I know what you mean about the exposed core. I insist on the LaBella SuperSteps on my BN5 and it was tough getting use to them. Now I don't even give it a second thought.

9. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    It took a while to set up, but I finally got the MTD dialed in. It sounds really good with those strings. It took a while to break them in, and they are kinda steely, they did have a bit of that same gritty feel the SuperSteps have, but they're comfortable now. It's probably a good thing, now I can get my callouses back. :)

10. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I wonder who makes Mike's strings for him? I'm curious to hear how long they last. But I know this can depend on the players body chemistry.

I know what you are saying about callouses. I got my Rob Allen MB2 several weeks back and spending many hours working with that. It has the La Bella tapewounds so the ends of the fingers are softening up. :smug:

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I bought a set of the 5's but got rid of the bass before I could use 'em! :meh: Now I don't have a 35" scale fiver so I might just buy a high C and try 'em on my Modulus Q6. Nice silks, tho... ;)

12. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, been thinkin' about this recently: there's a different kind of string on just about every bass I own. I'm using MTD's, D'Addario's, Smith's, RotoSounds, Alembics, LaBellas, and two different kinds of DR's. Every bass seems to have a string that it likes better than the others. Probably has something to do with the match between the tone control behavior and the string output, in terms of its frequency spectrum, something like that. On some basses, when you tweak the tone controls with the wrong kind of strings on there, you can get some really nasty sounding noises. I'll report back on the longevity of the MTD's, I put a set on one of my F basses and they didn't last long at all, but these ones that are on the MTD right now are doing fine so far. Makes sense that an MTD should like the MTD strings, right? And probably vice versa too? We'll see how it goes. So far so good.

13. Just today I was thinking the same thing. I don't have a favorite string, but I prefer certain strings FOR A PARTICULAR BASS. I use Tomastik Jazz Rounds on my Zon Sonus Custom and DR LoRiders Nickel on my Ken Smith, completely different strings but I like them in combination with the instrument. I love the Zon with the Tomastiks, hate it with stainless steel strings.

14. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I just bought a Zon Custom and was wondering what strings would sound best on the bass. So the timing on this was great. Thanks!

The strings that are on the bass aren't bad at all. I don't know what they are but I'm thinking Alembic nickels. They a green silk which is something I've never seen. The green matches the same color green that is on the Alembic packaging.

I'll give the Tomastik's a shot when the current set dies.

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    TI Jazz Rounds have green silks too ;).

16. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I use Lakland strings (stainless) on my Laklands and on my Elrick 7 (I buy seperate c and f strings), but I also use stainless MDTs when my supply runs out. I also used them on an active Fender 5 I used to have. My impression is that the MDT's actually last maybe a liiiiiiitle longer than the Laklands. They are kinda on the bright side, but I prefer a bright string. They last longer for me than any nickel string, but YMMV. I would use them all the time, but the Laklands are cheaper, and I prefer their over-all sound. MDT is a great string, though.

17. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    That's great info. I've never tried the TI Rounds. Just the Flats. Whatever is on the Zon right now sounds pretty good and feels good, too.

So maybe the next string purchase will be the TI Rounds.

Thanks!

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    You know it! I just try and do my part ;). I think you'll enjoy the Jazz rounds, they've got a wonderful feel and a deliciously warm tone.

19. If you had the Jazz Rounds on your ZON you'd probably know because they are so special. They have the lowest tension of all roundwounds I know and the low B is a 118! In spite of this it doesn't sound wimpy at all, astonishing really. Secondly, they don't sound like typical roundwounds, especially after two or three weeks. Zingy and aggressive is what they are NOT, just the opposit of stainless steel. I agree with Govithoy: warm and full and extremely easy to play, for some people who like to dig in maybe too much so. To me they have the warmth of flatwounds without sounding 'flat' if that makes sense. Great for Jazz and Blues, less for Rock I'd say.

20. Sorry nonsqtr, we went off on a tangent there.