MTD Super 5 Kingston: Checking out slap tones.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 24, 2021 at 6:04 PM.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

As some of you know, I really like the MTD Super 5 Kingston, but the slap tones I got did not sound very Stingrayish when I first checked out my future bass. I went back today and played with both pickups on in series and parallel, getting a much more Stingray sort of tone.

2. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I gotta learn to slap an electric one of these days. You are inspiring me.

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I actually have pretty crappy slap technique because my ability to double thump is minimal and I cannot do triplets at all. My ability is still grounded in 1977-1983 style Funk, definitely Pre-Wooten.

Gaolee, MAXSPINRUN, kobass and 4 others like this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    After learning what I think are the best slap setting for this bass, I say that anybody who wants a Stingray with wide string spacing should simply get an import MTD Super 5. The build quality is fine, the neck is sublime and the tone is there!:bassist:

Gaolee, MAXSPINRUN, kobass and 2 others like this.
  5. bass12

bass12 Not a "groovehacker" Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    It's interesting: some of the clips I've heard of the Super5 played pizz make me think a bit of the Sadowsky Modern, with that tight, focused attack and slightly narrower overall spectrum to the sound. But I much prefer the slap tone of the MTD to the Modern (the one thing I'm not crazy about with the Modern is its slap tone).

6. bass12

bass12 Not a "groovehacker" Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I love VW but most of my favourite slap flavours are from the era you just mentioned. Too often the triplet stuff just gets in the way and trips up the groove. I was thinking this when watching a clip of Prince and Ida Nielsen (both on bass) the other day. She's throwing in fast triplets and Prince is just keeping to "simple" thumping and plucking. No contest (to me at least) in terms of which of the two sounded better. Anyway, not to go totally off topic... :D

MAXSPINRUN, kobass, DJ Bebop and 3 others like this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Remember that there are Super 5’s with the import pickups and preamp, like the one I am getting for my birthday, and there are Super 5’s with double USA Bartolini soap bars and a USA Bartolini preamp. The import electronics sound very much like a Stingray, and USA Bart loaded basses have than thinner, “Fusion lead bass” sort of tone. I think the US Barts would be killer on a fretless.

8. lowdownthump

lowdownthump Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2004
    I think that you are right. :thumbsup:

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would love to improve my double thumb chops, but I could live without the triplets too.

lowdownthump likes this.
  10. lowdownthump

lowdownthump Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Gives me ear fatigue. Bores me after a while. It’s the opposite of creating space which isn’t very funky . Technically it’s good….. but it doesn’t make you want to dance or move so it isn’t worth my time to learn.

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I like your attitude. I am admit liking flash, and flash poorly executed destroys the groove.:smug:

Gaolee, MAXSPINRUN, kobass and 2 others like this.
  12. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Semi-pro tip…

I figured out how to do double thumbing and triplets by… watching tv. I literally sat on the couch and (if memory serves correct which is a crapshoot) watched some early NCIS with my roommate and just tried to get the motion down. I wasn’t trying to play notes or move around, just thumping’ up and down on the A string. ‘Bout 10 minutes later it just “felt right” and “clicked”. Moved up and down the neck playing notes, switches strings… I got it.

Then after another 10 minutes I got comfortable with the “slap open A hammer on D thumb pop D” move. Started moving all around the neck and different strings. It clicked. Started spreading up and alternating triplets and just straight double thumbing for a few minutes…

then OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!! I had worn through my fingernail exposing my nail bed. Boy that hurt. After healing for a couple days I really analyzed my thumb positing and altered it slightly so I could work on it for extended amount of time and not loose my thumb nail.

MAXSPINRUN, DJ Bebop and Dr. Cheese like this.
  13. Blueinred

Blueinred 21st century Genz-Benz guy Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Greater Cincy
    Agree, Doc,, that the MTD necks are sublime. Just really comfortable the whole length of them.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks for the tip!:bassist:

Element Zero likes this.
  15. Element Zero

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    I’ve been fascinated with MTD for the last few months… still have yet to get my hands on one though. Played a number of Tobias basses back in the day and MAN they were nice. I’ve scoured YouTube for videos of the different models and it’s a toss up. 535 or AG5 for more traditional tones (which I already have a plethora on my Fodera) or the Super 5 (which I pretty much already get from my Stingray) but with “more”? More than likely going the USA route, but I just don’t know.

and then there’s this video…

the tone (imo) is pure bliss and is among the very few sounds I’ve been trying to achieve for the last 26 years as a player.

Nuage420, Lync, Eon Sky and 2 others like this.
  16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is a very nice tone indeed. I like the more aggressive tone of the import preamp and pickups, but that USA Super 5 is super smooth. As I said before, I would really love that USA Super 5 tone on a fretless bass.

17. Element Zero

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    That’s also partially what I’m debating lol. IF I’m gonna have a fretless, it’s gonna be THAT sound. My Pedulla was nice, my Fodera was nice… but they didn’t sound like that.

18. Bassinga

Bassinga

Apr 12, 2021
    Nicosia, Cyprus
    Sweet playing Doc!
    Also, I've been eyeing this bass for months and I must say, every time I hear demos of this thing I'm blown away by the tone.

19. MAXSPINRUN

MAXSPINRUN Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Knoxville, Tn
    Agree, like spice in food, a little can enhance and bring some flavor, but too much can ruin. Just a touch very sparingly, can be very nice, but I prefer a nice tasteful solid groove with a nice pulse!

20. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Being shallow is a calling! Nothing wrong with going for the flash. At least in private where it won't wreck the music.

lowdownthump and Dr. Cheese like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2021