1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MTD + U-Retro Preamp = ???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jokerjkny, May 11, 2006.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hey all,

anyone try this combo? i see that john now offers a cool 5 knob "deluxe" version. anyone take the plunge?

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I can't imagine removing that perfectly matched powerful preamp and putting in a J-Retro:eek: I'm not sure how the unusual active Bartolini's would impact another pre... not sure if active pickups would behave differently with another pre.

That pickup-pre combination in the MTD is such a part of the signature sound of that bass, that my recommendation would be to find another bass that fits your tone rather than ripping out the pre and making the bass something it's not designed to be.

That being said... it's your bass:D

3. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...= noise ???...

~S~

PS: My past experience with J-Retro's are lots of high end "hiss"...lower it to stop & now you have a "dub bass"...nice pre beyond that & definetly colored...

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    wow,

no one else has tried this?

guess i need to take matters into my own hands... :p

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Jae,
    personally I don't think the U-Retro is a good fit for the MTD. The hiss would just annoy me. For a 'darker' sounding bass, the U-Retro is a fine preamp - sounded great in my Warwick Thumb 5 a few years ago - as opposed to the J-Retro which I've just never really liked in a Jazz Bass.

What are you looking to change about the sound? I remember you mentioning the bass boost before not being quite right for you. I'd probably either try Aguilar obp-3 or Audere preamp in the MTD. I'm really intrigued by the idea of the deeper sounding low z mode in conjunction with the MTD.

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I think that should tell you something. Not a lot of people have tried putting a Chevy engine in a Mercedes either:bag:

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    +1...LOL!...

~S~

8. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    MTD + U-Retro Preamp = the Metro preamp

9. John East

John East Commercial User

Jan 10, 2002
    Oxford UK
    Owner of E-Pro & East UK
    Is your experience with my earlier Retros?

I upgraded the design in 2002 to improve the noise performance. (Any version can be upgraded)

As a comparison, basic noise floor pretty much the same as an OBP-3 since then.

Yes, and you're right in that it's purposely coloured with a slight pre shape (very gentle 3dB at the low and high end) when all controls are at their flatest setting, bass fully backed off as it's boost only, etc.

10. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    John East,

I'm not sure of the year of it, but regardless, I still liked it beyond the high hiss on top. If your newer pre's have this fixed, I'd love to try one. I definetly liked it more than an OB-3...

kudos,
    ~S~

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hehe,

mine should be on its way... :smug: