MTD(U.S.A model) or Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hands5, Oct 29, 2003.

1. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    I'm sure that is has been gone over a few times but there have been many good threads thats been revisted so please my fellow TB'er give me your input.Here's mine.
    1st I would like to say that I think that Mike Tobias is argubaly 1 of the best-if not the best luthiers of our time (no disrespect to ken smith,vinnie fodera and the guy that design the F-bass)I have a preGibson 5 string and a MTD 635 HOWEVER!I have in my hands this very minute the Sadowsky 5 with the 2 EMGS soapbar pups/AshBody/24 fret Maple neck/fingerboard The "Big Gun" as Roger calls it and I Gotta Tellya this Bass is the S$&t!it's not mine it's my cousins (he has my MTD-635)and I dont want to give it back.:eek: Where the MTD is well focus and very organic sounding the Sadowsky is just real damn clean &tight So for all these people who say it just a Fender on steroids well,it's a lot more to it than that. Period.:bassist:So for all you bassist here a t TB or anywere that owns a this particular Sadowsky or any other Sadowsky...God Bless you.
  2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

so whats the question? Sounds like you already made up your mind.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Both are über-cool, and I'd love to own one of each, but if given the choice of just one I'd take MTD for playability alone. Don't get me wrong, Sads feel great too, but the MTD 535 has the most comfy buttery neck I've ever played. :bassist:
  4. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I'm lucky enough :rolleyes: to get to spend a lot of time using venue provided backline gear. One thing I have noticed: A Sad sound's a heck of a lot better through a POS amp.
  5. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    Made up my mind WHAT ?.
  6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i always got the impression that sadowsky kinda just assembles the basses, whereas Mike really builds basses. I personally think i'd get the MTD with maybe sum different electronics that you might like better.
  7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    hehe, yeah kinda.

8. Kinda like Lexus just "assembles" cars.

It really isn't that difficult to use a bandsaw. Not real expensive, either.
  9. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    We all know there is really one and only ONE
    correct answer as to how to choose between a Sadowsky/MTD; or a Roscoe/Fodera; or a Ken Smith/Nordstrand; or a Celinder/Lull; or...
    (you get the picture...)

10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Sadowsky Rules!:D

11. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    There you go......

...or get the "BIG GUN", if you can´t afford both :rolleyes:
  12. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    Funny that you would mention this because although I like the electronics that are already in the MTD I ask Mike would it be possible to get a MTD(u.s.a)with different electronics and the answer was No Way! hell Mike wouldn't even put in an active/passive switch,let alone a different preamp and different pickups but thats cool because Ken Smith want ither however the MTD still sounds awesome.
  13. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Sorry I guess I misunderstood the point of your post. Usually a thread that starts with xxx or xxx bass usually infers someone trying to decide between two different models.
  14. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i was a little confused too.

i still am.

15. Sadowsky Rules!

16. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    Maybe I should have been a little clearer but what I was asking what do you like about both basses if you have had the chance to play both of them.As for me an my experience with both if I could I'd like to have both of them because I dont' have a dislike for ither one of them but if a person would like to respond to the thread about there dislikes of those basses thats cool too.As for my mind made up as much as I like both of these basses if I had to do it again I'd buy a Korg Triton (I know,I know. a keyboard:confused: More for your money.:D )
  17. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Having both, for me it would be the Sadowsky. It just works out for me even though it's a very plain looking bass. It's got some kinda magic.

But you sound like you could just flip a coin and be happy.
  18. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Both are increadible basses, but My personal Pick would be the MTD.

But what do I know? I only have a Lakland :)
  19. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    You'll be happy with the MTD. I really love mine. I almost sold it earlier this year, and now I'm glad that no one wanted to buy it. It's definitely a work of art and a pleasure to play. Also, MTDs have their own sound.

I've tried a couple of Sads, and I really liked them but I can't find a used one that I like and I can't afford a new one at the present time.

I understand that Sads are "assembled parts basses" as opposed to hand made basses. but still, Rodger does put some magic into them. His way of mating each neck to its body, his preamp, and his set up work really sets his basses apart from other high-end Fender style basses. Ofourse his outrageous quilted / flame tops are really beautiful too. just my two cents...

and if I had the money, I'd buy both!
  20. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I had a 24F 5 string with EMGs... I traded it against a 535. I realised I wasn't too keen on the EMG sound! However I have another 24F 5 string with Sadowsky pickups, I really prefer their sound for fingerstyle playing. I would say the 535 is a bit more versatile though, because there is a mid control and the slap sound is better than the sad. For fat bass, the sadowsky preamp really kicks. The bartolini pre on the MTD lacks bass in comparison. Both are great instruments.

However the bass I use the most is my Sadowsky Vintage 5... for fingerstyle funk and slap, I have yet to find a bass that sound as good.