1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MTD USA J5/Saratoga?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wilbyman, May 11, 2010.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Anybody got one? I'm not current enough with who has wut to know if any of the regulars are stabling one. Just curious what they do. I like the alder/maple/34"/Barts thing. That is all...show pics if you want...

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nxjviV9QS4

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Cool, thanks.

4. dex

dex Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2002
    Vancouver, Canada

5. Dom Phenom

Dom Phenom

Apr 24, 2008
    I've had the pleasure of playing Errick Lewis' Saratoga. The thing kills. He has it tuned down to A-D-G-C-F, and it still feels tight as hell.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm pretty sure I played that exact same bass at the exact same store. It is very well made, but I would definitely take a Sadowsky Metro over a MTD Saratoga. From what I have heard, Wilbyman, your Carvin SB5000 should smoke that Saratoga for less than 1/3 the price.

7. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Hey Doc...interesting...I played a Metro and didn't really like it at all. My SB5000 is awesome, I'm just like most people here...wanna try new stuff.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I like Metros in general, but IMO, the UV 70-5 is the one I like most since I am a sucker for that aggressive Seventies tone. Since the SB5000 is based on Sekou Bunch's Jazz from that same era, I would guess that your SB5000 has that same vibe.

The Saratoga sounded good, but was just sort of bland compared to the Pensas in that same shop. I love MTDs, but I think Mike's heart is in his own designs, not Jazz bass knockoffs.

9. Yeah, ive played a few Metros and was not impressed with the way it felt. Maybe a really good set up.. My Squire Deluxe Active V feels better.

10. f this bass will. just get two more sb's. ash maple and koa rosewood.

11. save yourself a lot of $$$ and get one of the new import Saratogas (Around $699 retail - street around $579 or so). Then spend some $$ on beter electronics. I have one of the Series I 2004 Saratogas and I love it.