1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

MTD USA (or similar) players, what compressors are you using? Anything else in the signal chain?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TVbass, Mar 10, 2018.

1. TVbass

TVbass

Aug 22, 2017
    Central Virginia
    Hello everybody,

My bandmates are having some issues adjusting to this bass' voice range. Also, my technique is telling right now and I have to address it for our live venue.

Any other MTD USA players, or similar designed bass users, I would love to hear your recommendations.

MTD 634 (roasted ash body, maple top, wenge neck/fb) NTMB pre amp, 18 volt.

I'm kind of inexperienced with compression or signal chain setups...thanks in advance.
    Tray

2. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I am just a home player so I cannot speak for live settings but my 435 sounds great with Fea brand compressors. It helped me tighten up my technique versus making it worse and it adds more punch (boosts) my signal. When I say it helped my technique, what I mean is I had to adjust it to not cause the compressor to clip. I play much more evenly and lighter than I used to, so now I don’t atrophy when playing. Which is awesome.

The MTD pres are so powerful and I’ve had to play around with a lot of stuff to find what works.

3. TVbass

TVbass

Aug 22, 2017
    Central Virginia
    Yea
    Yeah, they are extremely powerful. I was as playing at a church using their Beringer system and the MTD was clipping the input when I was digging in.
    My organ player told me "I was allowed" to only play on my E and B strings, because he couldn't feel enough of bass presence on my A, D, G and C strings. That conversation didn't go over well. I didn't buy a six string bass to learn to play only on the two lowest strings. So I've been studying up on those compressors that can take 18v inputs and some multiband compressors.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I'd work on technique way before spending money on a compressor.
    You may not even need one if you sort out your playing.

5. TVbass

TVbass

Aug 22, 2017
    Central Virginia
    Yeah, you are absolutely right!! But right now, I need something to get me through the services I'm playing for currently, while my technique catches up, LOL!. My fellow band mates don't understand the learning curve with this instrument nor do they have much patience. I have to admit, coming from a Smith BT5, to a MTD 6 has been a lot harder than I thought.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    The one compressor I know is the accountant. I think it is a lot of fun and does exactly what I want from it...compression with an interesting and useable voice.The Accountant - Fairfield Circuitry
    I'd go Rothwell Love squeeze if I wanted something 'clean'.Love Squeeze

That said; I am unsure the compressor will solve your issue.
    Good luck though!

7. TVbass

TVbass

Aug 22, 2017
    Central Virginia
    Thanks for that information! I truly appreciate it. My technique has to improve no matter what, but I'm hoping a compressor will give me some added punch too.

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Ah, I see.
    If you wanted to 'gloss over 'the edges a little (not saying that you do here! :) ), you might want to try some LIGHT overdrive too.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021