1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MTD USA Saratoga 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lomo, Oct 5, 2009.

1. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Not many of these around....searched and found a little. I understand the concept-MTD version of a traditional J bass with less dynamic range than a 535 and a bit cheaper. This was intended for eventual overseas production that seems to have fallen by the wayside. Anyone who has played or heard one care to share?

2. i had one and really liked it...i was looking for a downsized jazz 5 string, and when i got it, it just felt freakin' huge...it sounded huge, too...it had an ash body, ash neck and maple board...i played it at a couple of band rehearsals, and i'm not sure i got the whole 'less dynamic range' and 'smaller sonic footprint' ...it sounded a hundred miles wide through the LMII and accugroove whappo cab i was playing it through...it sounded great, really...

3. some pics...yes, it was made to look just like norm's with the ramp

4. more

5. one without the ramp...in my opinion, it was easier to play without it...just thought it would be cool to check out what all the rave about ramps was all about...not for me, as it goes

6. RColie

RColie Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I've never played one - but Norm Stockton and Mike Tobias have a vidoe review on YouTube. Also, the Perfect Bass has one in stock. Give Brandt a call, he might be able to give you some feedback.

Bob

7. ezrs

ezrs

Sep 24, 2008
    I saw the bassist from the black crowes sit in with a chicago blues band playing one of these. Looked almost identical to yours, neptoon.
    Cool basses, lots of grooooowl!

8. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Why'd you flip it?

9. it felt too big on me...look at that pic i posted of me holding it...if you look at my profile you'll see that i've owned 8 warwicks, 4 spectors and a curbow petite...i like smaller bodied basses, and mike told me that this bass was well downsized...it's a little smaller than a fender, but not much in the ways that counted to me...i almost look like tal wilkenfeld holding that thing...sounded great, but it felt like i was holding onto a galleon oar...i'm playing a bee stinger 5 now...

10. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Are they going to make an overseas version? I have longed for one of these basses.

11. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal

I hear you. Big sure feels different, but big and light is OK for me.

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I played one for a while at a shop in NYC. It is really well made, but was not particularly memorable IMO. An MTD fanboy will probably love it, but I think there are better jazzes for $3,000.

13. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal

Yeah-it's priced at a level where there are lots of options.

14. I dig it, but in that pic it looks freakin enormous! Maybe its just a persepctive thing. Well just another "uber" jazz to add to my GAS list.

15. i'm 5'7" and weigh 160# for reference

16. I'm 5'8", so it wouldn't look much smaller on me. I dunno, could be the angle or something, but it looks a heck of a lot bigger than my KZ 6, and its a pretty hefty bass.

17. Dom Phenom

Dom Phenom

Apr 24, 2008
    I've gotten a couple of chances to play one. Errick Lewis here in Portland was using one as his main axe for a bit. It's a great bass. I've never played a 535, so I can't say how it differs from the standard MTD, but i have to say this bass was a beast. Had that hi-fi RnB vibe to it, nasty deep growl with finger style, lots of sparkley snap with slap, and a lot of articulation. He has it tuned down to A-D-G-C-F, and somehow the A string is tighter than most B strings I've played - open A was humongous.

18. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I absolutely love that bass! While the 534 isn't really my sound, I really dig the Saratoga.

Here's Norm talking with the man himself: