1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MTD USA stock pre-amp re-wiring Q

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Doug Parent, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I am re-installing the original pre amp that came with my MTD 535 USA bass. The pickups are the passive version, (2 conductors) with the 3 individual modules in the control cavity. The main module is NS3TMB-18.

I cannot get any sound out if it when I RE-wire it the same way it was when it was working. I made notes.

both 9 volt batteries wired in series. Red battery lead goes to red wire on main module. Black wire from batteries goes to white wire on main module.

the yellow and orange wire to the buffer module are the HOT leads for the pickups.

The green wire from the middle lug of volume pot goes to the tip (+) OF THE STEREO INPUT JACK. The ORANGE wire from the main module goes to the RING of the stereo input jack.
    The sleeve (-) is soldered to a ground wire that also has the pickup (-) ground soldered as well. I'm not using the same jack, at the moment, but it should not make any difference. It's three conductor jack that reconnects the ring and sleeve along the common shaft of the 1/4
    when it's inserted.

Does this sound right?

additional data: this pre-amp was going through batteries every 6 weeks before I removed it.

Thanks.:meh:

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I can't help you, but I would recommend emailing Mike Tobias. He is really good about helping out, and I'm sure he would be the best guy to ask about this.