Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Users Unite!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 7, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

i'm almost set on the body woods for my MTD, and thus far have nailed it down to an alder body, macassar ebony board, and a nice maple neck.

but i'm stuck on a top and finish. been leaning towards a natural maple burl, but HOLY crap, does MikeT do some amazing handstained finishes.

i.e. these finishes on the Groove Shoppe's page are unreal:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then there are these freakie tops from Austin Bass Traders:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so, if you got an MTD, lemme see 'em!

2. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    More GAS? I have to take some pictures later tonight for eBay work I'll try and take some of my MTD for ya, you're welcome to play it sometime if you want, its Korina body (no fancy top), wenge neck and maple board.

3. Here are some pictures of mine: :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Are those Korean made MTD's any good?

5. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Got mah active Kingston 5'er, been too busy to put together "glamour shots" of it tho. Its the low end of the MTD spectrum, but still an MTD!

6. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    Yes, the Korean MTDs are very good import basses. Probably one of the best low Bs you'll find in the mid-priced arena. I've heard that the old Czech made imports (Beast, Grendel) were even better, but have never played one.

7. T. Brookins

T. Brookins Supporting Member

I gig almost every day and have only one bass: A black Grendel/ Saratoga 5, Czech, the closest thing to a USA.

I've had about 22 basses and this is the best sounding one of them all.

However, I would like a more symmetrical headstock.
    -but-

I love it .

;)

8. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Joker, If you are even remotely considering a burst finish you have to check out the bass above. That bass totally has the mojo! Some basses just have that little bit of magic - and that's the one. Ash, Wenge and all!

9. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    If you're thinking alder, I would probably go avodire. It's alder plus. Ask Mike about it, he uses it as or more frequently than anybody else in the MTDs. (Ken Smith is also hip to it). I think Dan Knowlton and Mike Zimmerman have had avodire 535's (maybe the same one.)

Will

10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    My 535/24, Maple Burl on Ash with Maple/Ebony neck. Just awesome tone/playability (click for bigger):

[​IMG]

More pics on my gear page (below) if interested.

11. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    MTD must have a real good wood supplier :-O

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I guessed you forced me:

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

and this one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike

13. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    You gotta sign up and they're kinda big, but if you wanna see em they're there.

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Does Mike do Wenge Neck w/Maple FB? That would be a cool combination.

15. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Not anymore, I picked up one used before he stopped making them. VERY LUCKY =] Plus that korina body, its a sweet one of a kind bass that I'll probably never let go.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    interesting...

i heard that alder is actually a bit mushy for notes lower than the E. any idea on avadoire's handling of the lows? at first, i was thinking about mahogany and the so called "piano like lows", but now, i want some extra punch, articulate, and yet something that's not too aggressive or growly. would avadoire be good for me bass?

malabito & monseigneur DM,

nice basses. pretty much the look i'm going for with my MTD with the dark fingerboard and maple burl top. what woods?

Boi,

send me the pics, and i'll put 'em up on my webserver. from what Cpt. S tells me, its a real kicker. :bassist:

and FYI, Mike wont do anything other then wenge on wenge necks/boards. says its waaay too expensive for him to do any other combos with wenge, cause the price is getting outta control for him.

17. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Mike Dimin, I saw that last bass of yours on Ebay. Didn't realize it was yours.

-Eric.

18. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Wouldn't maple on wenge be cheaper than wenge on wenge?

It seems to me thats like saying gold on gold is the cheapest combination of gold and another less valuable metal! :confused:

19. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    PM me your e-mail and I'll send em over.