Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD vs. Modulus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by air4me2, May 2, 2002.

1. air4me2

air4me2 Guest

Feb 19, 2002
    SoCal
    MTD *35 series VS. Modulus Quantum series

This is just to satisfy my own insatiable curiousity about high end basses (and something to take the heavy hours off the clock!). Comparisons of playability and tone will do,, as beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

2. I've owned two USA MTD's (535 and my current 635) and two Modulus Quantums (one four and one five). I don't think that they're going for the same thing at all. I guess, in a general sense, it seems like Moduli have a signature Modulus tone that's most likely a factor of the graphite neck. On the other hand, the combination of woods in an MTD will make a huge difference in the tone, so it's a lot harder to pin down just one tone. For what it's worth, I really really like both brands for tone and playability.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I currently own a 535 and a Quantum 5, and have owned another Q5 in the past. FunkyC pretty much nailed it: both are very nice in their own way.

My personal thoughts: the 535 is more comfortable for me to play because it has standard string spacing, whereas the Q5 is slightly narrower at the bridge. OTOH, the composite-necked Q5 has greater clarity (not a desirable trait for some) and greater evenness of response across all strings and up and down the fretboard.

The bart-loaded 535 sounds more traditional (even with the active EQ); my EMG-loaded Q5 has a more modern punchy scooped tone. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to play blues on my Q5 or modern rock on the 535. Oh: the Q5 I used to own had barts which gave a warmer response, but I swapped it because I wanted a bass with more modern tone (and my current one is prettier, too. :))

If you put a gun to my head and said "choose just 1" I would probably keep the 535, but until that happens I will enjoy both!

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I owned the Quantum 4 for 1-1/2 years. It was EMG loaded, which many feel contributes to my general displeasure with that bass. I agree that it had a crystal clear tone, which I generally love, but the high end had a very sharp, jagged trebly response. The bass also lacked warmth, overall. It was a maple top on an ash body.

At any rate, I've heard recordings with that bass, where we'd play a live show. It sounded like the E and A strings had some good presence, but the D and G strings were all attack and harsh, lacking in fundamental. The bass cut extremely well, however.

I've never owned an MTD 535, but have played several in shops and it's definitely on my short list (Elrick is also on my short list, btw). Because I've never played one live, I'm at a loss as to how to describe the quality of live tone. But, every one I've ever played felt incredible and sounded fantastic!:D

In short, I'm not a fan of Modulus and am a fan of MTD. I admit I'm biased and encourage you to use your own ears. It's clear to me that many people love Modulus, some for the same reasons I don't. I also know people who can't stand MTD for the same reasons I love it.

5. What is the biggest influence on the Quantum's tone? Is the the graphite or the EMGs/Barts? If I were to put the same EMG electronics in a bass with an alder body and rosewood fretboard(maple neck) would the tone be similar? Or is the graphite the secret ingredient to that awesome tone?

6. I'm no expert,but I do have a theroy about this.My guess is that it's a combonation of the graphite neck AND the phenolic fingerboard.I own a Genisis 5(which BTW was designed by Mike Tobias)and it does not sound like a Quantam.It still has the attack of graphite(because of the graphite "spine")but it has a woodiness to it.(huh huh...I said woody;)) there are a million different factors that give every bass it's own sound. this is just one theroy

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, the simple answer is that every component has its own contribution to the overall sound of the bass.

That said, I've got essentially the same pickups in my Spector as in the Quantum Sweetspot. I think the pickups sound good. I don't like some of the sounds the graphite offers. I've heard similar characteristics in the treble in Status basses, though to a lesser degree.

My opinion is that the graphite is not tonally optimal. Again, what's my opinion is definitely not shared by all.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

This is true. I used to do a lot of modding and would always be perplexed at how the very same set of pickups could sound fabulous in one bass and weak in another. I normally recommend that people get barts in their Quanta because the EMG's make the bass too scooped for most people. But as I said before, I wanted a gnarly modern tone so I got EMG's. If I cut back on treble and add low low mids I get even punch across all strings.

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    this is an interesting thread. this may sound like im blowing smoke up mu butt- but i have had endorsement deals with both MTD and Modulus- still on both players list-
    the answers given here are dead on- i agree with RAM 110%
    i very much liked the modulus fingerstyle sound for certain things, and for touring, there is no neck warping to worry about- my bass before that was a neck thru Tobias.
    i didnt care for the slap sound however- and the hi end sounded exactly how RAM described-
    MTD is my bass of choice , and from what i hear- it is also my bandmates' choice.
    Modulus is a fine bass, though- no question. i could add that the person whom i traded an MTD 535 for his a Fodera Monarch 5 a few months ago emailed me today telling me what a great trade it was for him- his is in love with his MTD, and also , my business took in 2 preowned Moduli for consignment in a friend/customers hopes of selling them and using the $ for an MTD, but ten i'd just sound biased! or should i say toBIASED!