1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MTD with EMG

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Vakmere, May 7, 2010.

1. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    I have 2 EMG DC40 pup kits with volume pots included and want to install them in my MTD 535. I only want to use one of the volume pots that came with the EMGs instead of using two and drilling another hole. Using the MTD blend control would be desirable. Will the MTD pre and buffer be comatable? Is this something that is doable? Why do I want to do this? Because I want to have a different sound out of this bass. Any experienced TBer help would be appreciated.

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I've seen a couple other MTDs with EMGs in them.

The Bart preamp should be compatible as far as I know, but I don't think the blend control will be. A blend is basically just two concentric volume controls, so I'd guess you need a 25kOhm blend pot ( http://www.allparts.com/25K-Blend-Balance-Pot-p/ep-4745-000.htm ) just like the 25kOhm volume pots that came with the EMGs. You might even look at using the EMG ABCX active balance control.

Mike

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    You need the EMG blend control.

EMG-BAL Balance

Otherwise you would remove the volume and blend controls and wire in two volumes.

You may need to turn the gain control down on the Bart preamp (if it has one) if the pickups cause any clipping.

4. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    I see. The pre does have a gain control which is already at minimum position. Being you are close by in NJ would you be able to do this retofit?

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Keep the Vol/Vol, but use a concentric pot. Two volume knobs, 1 hole. Problem solved forever.

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Yes, I sent you a PM.

7. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    I might take you up on it. I'll call this weekend.