1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MTD Z5 vs. Carvin LB75

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by prmaina, Aug 25, 2007.

1. prmaina

prmaina

Feb 10, 2007
    New Jersey
    :help: I am about to choose between the MTD Z5 or the Carvin LB75. Both appear to be nice basses. I would love to hear the opinions of those who have played both and chose one over the other and why they did.

2. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    The carvin has more pick up and eq options (if thats your thing)

3. Well jeez. I am an MTD (korean) owner and love MTDs. The Carvins are awesome for the money. I like the Icon alot. I have never played a Carvin so I dont know how they feel. Im not a fan of neck through basses either. The Asym neck on the MTDs are wonderful too! Soooo, I would still probably get the MTD in the gloss finish (satin is not durable enough).

http://www.theperfectbass.com/explo...&W=STORE&P=N&S=1001081&U=1&SS=1&CR=N&modify=0

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I personally think that Carvin makes a better bass for the money. It isn't that the MTD Z series is bad, but with the Carvin you can choose from a huge list of options and get a bass truly customized for yourself. I also think they just sound better. The MTD Z series stock electronics always sounded thin to me. Now, if you upgrade the electronics in the MTD, that would make a good contender. Another thing to think about is string spacing. The MTD has 19mm string spacing where as the Carvin has 17mm.

5. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    But you can get 19mm spacing on the Carvin as an option, along with an asymmetrical neck. I have an LB75 that absolutely kills, and I didn't break the bank to buy it. They are phenomenal basses for the money.

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Carvins ROCK for the money! And here is a cheap plug for my killer Walnut one in the FS Classifieds!

7. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    Carvin FTW!!!

nothing beats Carvin's neck. Fantastic.

8. Like I said here. I am an MTD man. But, I have always wanted a Carvin since I was a kid. But, have never played one til this day. I really like the Icon.

9. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
  10. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    My Carvin XB-75 is killer. Flawless finish, awesome electronics. It feels nice in my hands. I had no problems as far as ordering and customer service. They have an online status thing that tells you what step of the process your bass is in, too.

That MTD looks really nice, too. I haven't tried one, though. The price is a bit less than a custom Carvin might be (with the fancy finishes and options) and you probably don't have to wait for it.

The ability to choose almost all the options on your own bass is a pretty cool feeling.

11. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    I am a Carvin endorsee, so I guess my opinion is a bit biased. Nevertheless, I believe you will get more bang for the buck with a Carvin. As mentioned above, your options are many with the Carvin & I believe the electronics will sound better than the Korean MTD . My LB75F has been on quite a few records & was chosen over my other more expensive basses on it's sound alone by the producer. I also use their amps which are truly awesome. If I were buying a Carvin bass today, I would get the XB75P. That's the 35 1/4" scale 5'er with the added piezo bridge pup.

12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I got this in an email from you, but it would have been easier to post it here or just pm me. I have an USA MTD made by Mike Tobias himself. The Z5 bass you were talking about is made outside of the USA by contracted craftsmen. I personally think that Carvin makes a better price at the price point that you are comparing.