Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD5 VS TOBIAS BASIC5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I know these are both made by the same vendor, is there a big difference in sound between the MTD-5 and his pre Gibson Tobias Basic-5. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Mike is such a guru of wood selection as it relates to tone there can be a pretty big difference tone wise just based on that regardless of era.

There's a difference in electronics package but it's still all Bartolini vibe, there's the neck-through/bolt-on issue..

I'm sure anything Mike makes shares the same rich complexity of tone the he got famous for.

3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I only have an MTD 535/24, but I recently heard a really good bass player play through a pre-Gibson Tobias 5 with a single MM style pickup (is that a basic 5? I dunno). Anyway, his tone was AWESOME, and the action had to be typical Tobias 'cause he moved effortlessly around the fingerboard... if that helps.

4. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Growler.

5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Jeez, dangitt, my GAS list just grew... :rolleyes:

6. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Being that I owned both of them (I still have my pregibson Tobias classic V) there is a difference between the 2. The MTD 635 had a sorta dark and Fenderish type tone while the Tobias had somewhat of a hotter tone but I,personaly enjoyed the tct preamp that was in the Tobias, the MTD was very much equal as far as playabilty also the 35'inch scale was nice also but the B in the Tobias was superb IMO.
    Not to get off topic,I kinda find myself going back with the 34'inch scale basses ie my current Tobias 5,Fender Marcus Miller V-a superb instrument and maybe a Sadowsky V.IMO the 35'inch scale basses that I had just took on a totaly different tonal characteristic which wa ok but I just prefer the tone of the 34'inch scale instruments