Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD534???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RAM, Feb 13, 2002.

1. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I came across an MTD534 that's being offered at a great price! However, as I've played the 5-stringers in a 35" scale, I've yet to come across ANY MTD in a 34" scale. Can anybody attest to the tightness of the low "B" on a 34" MTD instead of the usual 35"?

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    now THAT'S a sweet bass!!! does he make 34" scale basses anymore?

there are plenty of 34" basses that have great B's, i'm sure the tobias will too.

am i the only one that CAN'T play 35" scale basses?

jason

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

You really can't, Jason? I don't mean to bust your chops (so to speak): I do acknowledge that the 1" difference is not insignificant.

Bottom line: I do agree that plenty of 34" scale basses have great B strings. And I would never say that 35" is always better than 34".

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    no i can't. my arms are kinda short and so are my fingers. they're just not comfortable.

yet since my palms are bigger than my fingers, i can handle warwick necks no problem.

wierd, huh?

jason

5. Yeah, I can picture what you're describing and can understand why 35" scale is difficult for you, and why Warwick's thick round necks work for your hands too. That's what's so cool about having such a wide variety of basses available to us.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

That makes sense. As funkyC said, it's great to have such an enormous variety of gear nowadays. I don't have huge hands either: one thing I love about 5-string is getting to play low-F minor riffs on 6th fret B-string rather than 1st fret E.

7. Nope. My FBB 5's very Warwick-like neck has about twice as much wood in it as my old Dean Edge Custom 5's, but is far easier to play because it is 34" scale and the Dean is 35". I have hands exactly like yours, too: my palm extends almost an inch further from heel to the web of the middle finger as my middle finger does from web to tip. Incidentally, I find the Thumb 5 neck-through to have one of the most comfortable necks on the market.

In many cases, 35" is just a marketing gimmick, and it can make the G sound incredibly obnoxious below the fifth fret.

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    sweet i'm not a freak!

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I talked to Rawn about this exact bass. It's a 1996 without the Buzz Feiten tuning system. This is exactly the bass I was talking about.

The thing is, it's totally custom. I guess the guy who ordered it ended up never taking it, so it's in brand new condition. From what I understand, Mike would probably do another if you ordered one, as such.

I'm just really tight on funds and don't know if I could come up with the cash right now...I'm about to lose my job. But, the price on this thing is just too good to pass up...

Hmmm...pay the mortgage or.....:confused: