Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD535 vs. Zon Sonus V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Voice Of Thor, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Voice Of Thor

Voice Of Thor Member

May 19, 2003
    While we were talking about the Q5 vs. MTD535 I thought it would be interesting to see the preferences out there. In this case, I don't see the MTD535 as being a step up from the Zon at all, just different.

Anyone?

2. Thor,
    In case you're interested, I'm selling a Zon Legacy Standard. Check the "for sale" section for more details and pics.

If you're considering a Zon, mine is in very good condition and could save you about $1,000 over a new one! And still have the Zon equipment you like.

PM me if you're interested. Sorry for the shameless plug.

3. you'll have to choose a different name after the sale though john :)

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It's a step up if what you're after is what it (the 535) brings to the table;) This is also true for the Zon.

My choice? I basically have both (MTD 635 and Zon Legacy Standard fretless 5):D

5. when you get into that high end stuff it is pretty much all preference. I have always like MTD myself but zon makes some great stuff too.

6. I've thought about that. I don't have any ideas currently. "Roscoe4john" just doesn't have any ring to it.;)

"Nordstrand$john"???:meh:

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Given the amount of experience he has with graphite necked basses, I think Thor may already own one or two Zons. I bet he could probably afford to get rid of a couple too!

I woudlnt mind picking one up, but the shipping and customs duty would kill any value in the sale.

8. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    How could you possibly go wrong with either? When I auditioned them I liked them both a lot. If I had to pick one I guess it would be the MTD..but the Zon is pretty sweet too!

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

this is really facetious of me, but...

if you dont wanna stick out from the sideman gigs, the Zon might be a better choice. not as aggressive looking as the MTD. :p

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

For me, the issue would be playability. The MTD 535 fits me perfectly. I think the Zon fivers have narrower string spacing.

11. Most Zons have a bit narrower spacing than the MTD, but the Sonus Studio and the new Sonus 519 both have full 19mm/.75" spacing. IT may be an option on other models, but I'm not sure.

Mike

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

That sucks... now I'm gonna be gassin' for one of those "wide 5" Soni. ;)

But seriously: thanks for the info, Mike.

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    That does suck:( ....I too would like my Zon to have a little wider neck......must.....not....have ...g.a.s. attack;)

14. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    And this is the reason I chose the MTD 535 in the end because it had every thing I wanted in a bass.Trust me the Zon I tried out was by any means was a Slouch'it was truly a magnificent instrument but I have a Tobias 5 and I know what Mike brings to the table as far as playability and the musicality of the instruments that he builds.But if I had some extra deniro I would have a Zon in my stall also.