1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD MTD635 FS - $2000 plus shipping.

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by drgregn, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drgregn

drgregn Granddude Supporting Member

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    MTD635, serial #623, 21-fret, white finish on avadore body, maple neck with Madagascar rosewood board, Buzz Feiten tuning system.

DSCF0011.

Bass has one spot of wear (from slapping, probably) through the finish on the lower bout, and light overall finish wear - price reflects these flaws. Otherwise in excellent cosmetic condition, no other issues. Plays effortlessly, action low and no fret buzzes, MTD TONE to die for.

The body wood and the Madagascar rosewood board give this bass a more traditional vibe than what I think of as the wenge neck "typical" MTD tone, while retaining all the definition and tonal flexibility that Mike's instruments are known for. I used to own the Norm Stockton style 535 pictured in my avatar, and personally preferred this one tonally due to the flexibility and the "warmer" vibe it gives.

If you've been looking to get into an MTD 6'er to play and not just look at, this would be the one. I'm selling only 'cause I've acquired too many basses, as usual, and a custom Nordstrand NX6 is upcoming in the current batch, so this has become the odd bass out.

No trades, please, trying to convert to cash. $2000 plus shipping. Paypal or USPS money orders only. Shipping to lower 48 only, no international shipping, no Nigerian third-party checks. :D

other pics:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/drgregn/MTD635%20White/DSCF0008.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/drgregn/MTD635%20White/DSCF0014.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/drgregn/MTD635%20White/DSCF0013.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/drgregn/MTD635%20White/DSCF0012.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/drgregn/MTD635%20White/DSCF0010.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/drgregn/MTD635%20White/DSCF0009.jpg

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia In Memoriam

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    hi, Greg! too funny.. i just emailed Mike today to ask if he ever did a white finish!
    Carey tells me he has kept you updated with the progress of the Nordstrand.
    Glad to know it's finally coming up.
    Thanks for being so patient..
    oh, and bump for the bass!

3. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    $2000 is a ridiculously good price for a 635. . . bump for a great deal!

4. drgregn

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    thanks, gruuv - yeah, some TB'er will hopefully get a heck of a bass here. I've deliberately priced it low to sell, so if it doesn't sell here pretty soon I'll send it on to da 'Bay. Mike said he would refinish it for me, but I never did that 'cause I was just a little worried (probably irrationally so) that the tone would change if I did.

5. drgregn

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    bump before the 'Bay...

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Someone should buy this :(

7. Tom7

Tom7 I'm so bright, my mom called me son! ;-)

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Someone should, but that "shipping to the lower 48 only" caveat means it makes no sense for me to even ask about it. Why do people do that anyway? :bawl:

8. drgregn

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    sorry, Tom - let me restate that... no overseas (i.e. out of US) shipping. Alaska would work fine - so ask away! I'd really rather not put this on eBay if someone here is interested.

9. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Cool! I'm looking for another 6 (obviously), but I don't know too much about MTD. What is the string spacing and the scale length?

10. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Spacing is 18mm and the scale is 35 inch. . . and they play REALLY smoothly!

11. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Oof! I only buy 19mm string spacing so that I can move back and forth between my basses with a minimum of adjustment. Cheers.

12. drgregn

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Thanks for the info, gruuv - I'm working this weekend so can't log on & check for questions very often.

13. drgregn

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    FWIW department - I own both 19mm and 18mm spaced basses and have to say I don't really notice much difference. The MTD635 is indeed quite comfortable to play - some sixers I've struggled with (Yamaha comes to mind - the old landing strip neck...) but not the MTD - like buttah, as they say in Bahston. :D I actually used the spacing and nut measurement on this bass as my specs for the upcoming Nordstrand NX6.

14. drgregn

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    last bump... :ninja:

15. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Someone should grab this bass. It really is a great deal for a 635. Greg's also a great guy to deal with. I bought a bass from a him two years ago and the transaction was seamless.

JC

16. drgregn

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    thanks, Joel - same here. If I didn't have a Nordstrand in the works I'd be trying to trade something for that gorgeous Ken Lawrence you have on your site. Or the MB2 - if it had another string, that is!

tax time is not a good time to sell, I know. But someone will get a great bass, either here on on the 'Bay.

17. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Thanks, but I really can't move back and forth readily between basses unless the string spacing is exact -- and I've standardized on 19mm. At least my answer is a "bump" though! :smug: Good luck with it. Oh, and my current 6 stringers are both Yamaha (Patitucci, one fretted one fretless) and I'm in love with their necks. Different strokes I guess.

18. drgregn

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Thanks for the bump, Tom. You are exactly right - to each his own. We are blessed that so many luthiers make a variety of fine basses, including Yamaha. I have owned 2 Yamahas in the past and really wanted to like their 6 given the nice price but it was just too much for me.

19. drgregn

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Last price drop - $1900 + shipping/insurance (around $40 to lower 48). If it doesn't sell there I'll just keep it!

20. I believe that price would be considered "theft" :eek:

Hope it finds a happy home!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.