Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mTD's choice tone wood. Need advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by draginon, Mar 6, 2006.

1. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    I am referring to that crispy mTD tone. I know the bart electronics will definitely help so the bass will definitely have bart pups but possibly an aguilar preamp

Through some research I have narrowed it down to these body woods

Mahoghany (not sure what kind)
    Walnut
    Swamp Ash

with these neck combinations

Wenge\Wenge
    Maple\ Pau Ferro

My friend has a 6string mTD that sounds brilliant and he isnt sure what the wood combination is although I know the neck is probably maple and the fretboard is either pau ferro, redwood, or rosewood. The low end is defined, not very muddy. Actually the whole bass sounds very articulate, crispy and AMAZING. I almost want to say the tone is piano like but I am unsure if that is a good way to describe it but I think it is. I want to get a similar tone in a 4 string version without the mTD price tag

2. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    You just described every MTD in existance. If you think you're going to capture the MTD tone in any instrument other than an MTD, good luck.

My advice is to save up for a used MTD.

3. willrwilli

willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    I have a MTD 6 string that has a spalted maple top, mahogany bottom, and a maple/maple neck, and it is amazing. If you get an MTD I would not change the pre-amp, I would leave it alone.

4. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    No, he's saying he wants a 4 string that sounds like a US MTD, without the MTD price tag.

5. Take a look to the MTD Heir or Kingston models...
    I hope this helps.