1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MTI era SVT preamp question?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SUNNyday r., Nov 30, 2006.

1. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    I have poured over alot of the posts concerning this question(I have a screen generated headache:p ) and found the general consensus that the change over to 12ax7's from 12dw7's happened during the MTI era thus changing the tone from the earlier years. Yet my MTI has the tube guide sticker over the plug in holes that is marked from left to right 6c4,12dw7,12dw7,12ax7a and 12dw7. They are all GE's and one sylvania(yeah!) Were these MTI's just a hodge podge of leftover parts from Magnavox? Another person said I would probably find Plastic posts on the pots but when I removed the knobs they were metal. Was this era scatter shot without conformity in production? I can't see the japanese doing that.:ninja: Oh yeah, It sounds AWESOME too!!!:bassist:

2. The only MTI era amp i really know much about is the skunkworks, which didnt use 12dw7s.

From what i understand, alot of the early MTI ones were a bit of a mix of parts, but thats about all i know, im sure jerrold will pop in at some point :)

3. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    Now seeing your pics I really wish I kept my SVTII. DOH!:crying:

4. Hey Mohawk, traditionally the "Skunkworks" SVTs are understood to be SLM-made. MTIs are just MTIs with the distinctive cutout in the headshell above the tone switches.

Sunnyday, could you post a link to the info. stating the 12dw7 transitioned during the MTI years?

5. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    Allow me to comb thru it again and I will post a link. Seems to be alot of confusion and all over the place info on these. Even some plain old dislike for them. I think mine sounds great and I picked it up for a reasonable deal. Back in awhile.

6. Ah right, i knew they had that they were differently shaped, and my bad then, i was sure the skunkworks ones were MTI, oh well, my bad :)

I agree, you should have :p they are damed nice! :smug:

7. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    HI

"Skunkworks" ?? What does it mean ?

8. The skunkworks were a limited editon run of SVTs (500 made, each numbered on a plate on the back)

9. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    HI
    Thanks. But still: Skunkworks? Why not -say- beaverworks? :) I live in different culture Finland,Europe. Please tell me more.

10. Your not really that far away from me tho are you :p

I dont know exactly why its called a skunkworks, i think that was the name of the company/team of people that made them or something?

11. From Whatis.com:

skunkworks

A skunkworks is a group of people who, in order to achieve unusual results, work on a project in a way that is outside the usual rules. A skunkworks is often a small team that assumes or is given responsibility for developing something in a short time with minimal management constraints. Typically, a skunkworks has a small number of members in order to reduce communications overhead. A skunkworks is sometimes used to spearhead a product design that thereafter will be developed according to the usual process. A skunkworks project may be secret.

The name is taken from the moonshine factory in Al Capp's cartoon, "Lil' Abner."

12. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Just a guess but the term "Skunkworks" may have been coined from the team of Lockheed engineers that designed their advanced stuff in the 50s and 60s like the U2 and the Blackbird. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk_works

"kickapoo joy juice" made of smoldering ground up skunks and old shoes

13. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    HI
    Thanks! Now I know. :hyper: :hyper:

14. Cheers, i never thought it would have been as general a term as that :) learn something every day!

15. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    HI

Oh Yes, You are from Scotland. I once played on cruise ship in Gulf of Finland. The other bands bass player was from Scotland: "Ali" Franklin. Nice person. That's how I learn to like "Famous Grouse". Better than that kickapoo joy juice,I guess. :)