1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MTV will be 30 years old in 2011

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Richland123, May 12, 2011.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Does this bring back some memories? MTV will be 30 years old in 2011. MTV was launched 30 years ago on August 1, 1981.

The original five MTV Video Jockeys (VJs) in 1981 were Alan Hunter, J.J. Jackson, Martha Quinn, Nina Blackwood, and Mark Goodman

preview18.

2. Wow, it seems like yesterday. I was absolutely glued to it for those first few years. I hear the guitar riff and see the man on the moon right now. Remember the Fish Heads video?

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Now if MTV or other music stations would actually play some music.

Or, if popular music actually was something people were interested in listening to or watching video's of.

4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    The birth of the video age! I was 10 at the time but we didn't have cable so I only got to watch it at friend's houses. It definitely changed the face of popular music.

I'm curious though, how long did MTV hold out playing JUST music videos before it's long slide into the reality show outlet it is today? Not long enough I say!

5. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Meh. MTV died like 15 years ago.

6. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
  7. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
  8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Funny. I've been playing music for about that long, and they don't play any music anymore!

9. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Yep, they sold off their relevance years ago.

10. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    When I was a teenager in the early 90s, I can actually remember being psyched to get home from school to watch a "world premier" video.. I remember, seeing the world premier of "Under the Bridge", "Man on the Moon", and so many more. It was so cool to watch the afternoon video countdowns as well. That was when MTV played music.

I remember at night, when my parents were in bed, watching "HeadBangers" ball on Sat. nights with Rikki Rachtman. I remember MTV News with Kurt Loder and Tabitha Soren. I remember 120 Minutes as well... seeing videos by The Cure, The Lemoneads, Dreams So Real, etc.

And then MTV started in on reality shows... The Real World. Ill tell you, the 1st few seasons of the Real World were actually pretty cool IMO. Who can forget Eric and Julie? John Brennan, the virgin wanna be country singer? Aaron, the surfer? Dominic, the Irishman who looked like Ronnie Wood? PUCK!!!!! The touching story of Pedro Zamora?

But as MTV began phasing out videos, they started phasing in reality tv... and not even cool reality tv like Real World. CRAP... The Hills... that show about stupid pregnant high school girls... the makeover show... and some dumb show about who wants to date my mom or something. MTV has become lowest common denominator, mindless tv...

I miss my MTV...

11. MTV is still around?

12. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    It was awesome when it launched - twenty-four hours a day of music videos. No commercials - the videos WERE the commercials to move units.

One of my faves from way back when...YouTube - DFX2 - Emotion DFX 2

13. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    It has not aged well.

14. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    So after MTV turns 30, does that mean that MTV will have to be broadcast on VH1?

15. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    VH1 sucks too, now...

No more Behind the Music! Best show ever!

16. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    There's a subchannel that is broadcast here in Columbus (and I'm sure many other markets) called 'the cool tv'. I've only ever seen music videos on it. The quality isn't high since it's a subchannel, but hey, I'm not complaining... it's free, and they play some cool (older) stuff. Check your local listings!

17. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    This.

Man I had a huge crush on Martha.

18. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    MTV has changed, and there's no channel (anything like the 80's MTV format) on regular cable to fill the void,
    or wow us with new-low budget, or other music videos, etc. :D The world will never be the same...

19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I wonder what these 5 people are doing now...

20. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT

Yeah , I miss the good ol days.:bassist:

Furthermore... I've seen some videos from the music of today...

No wonder Music TeleVision died.

:bag:

JMO..
    (and half joking before the attacks come about "music today is way better"..or the "music before mtv gen was better cuz they were more focused on the music than the video"..) ;)