MTV's coverage of Pink Floyd

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fenderjazz68, Jul 2, 2005.

1. That was the worst coverage I've ever seen of a concert, especially when Pink Floyd hit the stage!

The highly anticipated reunion was cut short before they finished, one of the hosts decided to talk how thrilled they were to see PF while they were playing, and footage cutting to show buildings in the night sky.

What the h*ll was that?
  2. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Does that building look familiar?

I thought it was pretty cool that they were playing so near.

Though, they could've had more shots of Mason and Wright.

And Money was kind of sloppy... but the rest of the songs were killer.
  3. yeah, although with a high camera shot you can get Battersea Power Station in view from pretty much anywhere in central London ;)
  4. `ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Roger looked pretty good. He really got into it. It was great to see
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    They're back together? Good for them. I hate it when bands break up over petty differences and hold long grudges.
  6. Sounds typical for MTV.

At the Led Zep reunion for Live Aid some 20 years ago, their VJ kept talking for something like a minute when Led Zep started playing... "and here they are, the long awaited Led Zep reunion, blah blah blah blah blah" The VJ (Martha Quinn?) didn't shut up till half ways through the first verse.
  7. yeah, the coverage stunk all day long. There was usually no more than 2 songs every 30 minutes and they rarely showed an entire song. They cut off "The Who"/2 before the end of "Won't Get Fooled Again" also. Maybe they're prepping for DVD sales, so they avoided showing entire songs.

And those 2 idiots blabbing on and on about how cool it was to see Pink Floyd - when PF was in the middle of a song in the background. uggh!

MTV/VH1 sux. very little music. BET Jazz is the only real music station on TV.
  8. Whooa ............I missed this.....................Will they show it again?
  9. Oh, but Linkin Park and Jay-Z got practically a full 20 minutes uninterrupted...

And the fact that that idiot Mc Lyte actually is stupid enough that she actually asked someone in the crowd "what brings you out?"

really abysmal coverage. They HAVE to be making a DVD to cover all of it, but really, just totally lack of respect at every turn cutting away, cutting into..and where was all the footage from Japan? Rome? Italy? Africa? What the hell?

10. They're showing it here tonight in Australia, thanks for the heads up.

Hopefully the DVD producer will have enough (some) sense to edit it for us music lovers. In the end, although its all for a great cause, what we want is a decent concert, no???
  11. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    They kept cutting off from Stevie Wonder to talk about how much everyone loves that he's there...

but they just couldn't show enough love to shut up and watch him

anyone else catch Randy Jackson playing for Mariah Carey? I'm suprised there wasn't more attention given to him. He was right behind her playing a Bongo
  12. MMM, Randy Jackson, serious cat. Thought he might have got himself a Sadowsky though....
  13. I always thought he was a Lull guy. He is on his ads afterall. Oh well.
  14. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    You guys really think they'll sell a DVD?

It can be found free all over the internet right now, and even the concert itself didn't cost anything.
  15. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    Ahhhh the beauties of having the BBC.

Full coverage of Hyde Park without any interuptions in songs plus highlights from the rest of the world.
  16. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Darn right. The mouse always follows the cheese.
  17. I found Pink Floyd clips on the net broadcast by AOL. Way better coverage than MTV/VH1. Thank god someone took the music/artists contribution more serious...
  18. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I knew that sadowsky was going to get mentioned. IMO, a bongo kicks ass. ask yourself this question... Randy jackson is an experienced and accomplished bass player. if he thought that sadowsky's were better instruments than musicman, don't you think he would have bought and used one, since he could afford it? why did he choose the bongo? why does will lee use a bongo? why are more and more people using bongos? because they are great, and are far greater than people (especially sadowsky lovers) give them credit for.

BTW, yes the coverage sucked. :)
  19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - the BBC coverage was great - all the groups were played uncut as it happened, mostly with great sound - Pink Floyd brought back great memories - although it did seem that Roger had forgotten how to play the bass line to Money!! ;)

The BBC on digital TV, also allowed you to switch to other countries when there was a lull so you could catch all the best groups!!

I can guess why MTV interrupted - there was a lot of swearing - and I was surprised to hear this on the BBC early-evening - but it did nothing to spoil the enjoyment - I expect there will be lots of letters of complaint though!! ;)