Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTV's SNAFU

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BigWig Will, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Looks like no more Clone High, MTV apologized to the nation of India for airing the show where Ghandi, as the main character, is not exactly peaceful and harmonious.

On one hand I'm a little disappointed because I kinda liked the first two episodes.

On the other hand, India has every right to be upset about this and you can't really say they're wrong in wanting to revere an amazing person. It'd be sort of like making MLK or Malcom X into a token minority on a sitcom.

On the other paw, the show probably wouldn't have gone anywhere because the characters weren't particularly interesting and there didn't seem much potential for original or involving storylines. Just more introducing "wacky" clones of past historical figures.

I see you agree, good, Lets go get some coffee.

*walks away from his hallway mirror*

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Crap! I actually liked that show! Oh well. Comedy Central still has the reruns of Gary & Mike and Undergrads. Undergrads is great! And Cartoon Network still has Futurama and the rest of Adult Swim. Thank God for Cartoons! They're soooo much more realistic than most of TV nowadays.

3. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    The first episode was intriquing... but i'm w/ ya Will, they just didn't have the ability to keep it going in a hit show.

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I thought that by "snafu", you meant that they had something "really good" on.

"Return now to your regularly scheduled programming".

5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    :eek:

Family Guy DVD. April. First two seasons.

"Oh, no!"

"Oh, no!"

"Oh, YEAH!"

;)

6. I thought it was fairly funny. I still think 3-south is the funniest show on MTV.

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I liked it. i thought it was real funny. but I guess it was kinda disrespectful.

I mean come on, he was a CLONE.

8. Yeah, it was extremely counter-productive to their crap-pushing operation. They're gonna have to air TRL 5 times a day to make up to it...and probably have to introduce more flavors of it....I can't wait 'til TRL Lemon-Lime!!

Oh yeah, and they'd have to expand on the Spring Break Franchise with Febuary Break, St. Paddy's Day and Flag Day Break.

Think of the possibilities!!!

:eek:

Incidentally, I will take this oppurtunity to congratulate, P. Aaron, on a wonderful avatar.

9. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I can't wait. That's for sure. I loved Family Guy so much and then they had to take it off air. It really was a classic show and one of the best shows on TV at the time.

The DVD will nestle nicely right between my Simpsons DVD's.

10. why would someone want to watch MTV in the first place?

11. i never saw clone high. it must have been really bad to not even stay on mtv...they usually have real QUALITY programming.
    i saw an episode or two of 3 south. eh...not too bad, but it's all pretty thoughtless, stupid stuff; like two guys putting "oregano" on pizza.
    then it turns out to be pot. ooh...plot twist! :rolleyes:
    basically, it's not too bad, but there's better stuff out there.
    i'll take home movies on adult swim over almost any other cartoon, thank you.

12. deadweeds

deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
    man that show was awesome...why not just make ghandi a stoner and keep the show?

south park survived somehow

13. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    The reason South Park survived is because its on Comedy Central, while Clone High was on MTV. MTV has been heavily leaning toward liberalism in the past years (they show gay men kiss but have to edit out the word "gun" in a music video). And because of this influence, they have lightened up and have really become more politically correct than they used to be.

Which is why they were so quick to get rid of the show after people in India expressed anger over it.

14. deadweeds

deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
    Hmm yeah I see now...maybe they should just change the names of the characters and the show....that way you'd know that it was a character portraying that person but they're under a different name.....like call Ghandi...um....Roger or something lol.....

15. Amen.