Mu-Tron III vs. HAZ Mu-Tron III+

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fasto, Aug 24, 2010.

1. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    sorry for opening another thread to this subject and i used the "search" but i can´t find the answer to my question anymore:

so what is the real difference between the original Musitronics Mu-Tron III versus the HAZ Mu-Tron III+? One seller of the HAZ claims: "the re-issue models have the exact same circuitry as the original except it's true by-pass an has gold plated in-put and output jacks for superior sound!"

So both should sound very similar, or?

2. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Answered your own question.

3. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    the Haz isint all that nice. the vintage mutron IS all that nice.

4. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Inactive

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    I've read that once Beigel lost his licensing rights, i.e. no money from the III+, he started flaming HAZ. Hence the rumor.

5. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    From what I remember when I was researching I read that the HAZ circuit is very different from the original pedal.

I can't speak to any sonic differences; I have a vintage Mutron but I've never checked out the HAZ labs version.

6. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    See my post above, makes sense IMO.

There really isn't anything that would be hard to copy on the Mu-Tron, so I don't see why they would change it.

7. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    I have a HAZ and like the way it sounds, never had the chance to AB both versions but Musitronics seem to be "wetter".

Never understand why so much hate for HAZ. It sounds really good for my taste, retains low freq very well, and I can easily lay down some nice grooves.

Anyway I did some clips so you can judge for yourself:

Mutron III + (a).mp3

Mutron III + (b).mp3

Mutron III + (c).mp3

8. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    ^ great clips - HAZ sounds very good to me and thanks for re-uploading them (in the old thread they were gone).

Wikipedia says: There was a reissue of sorts – the Mu-Tron III+ -- but inventor Mike Beigel says this is not an authorized version and the circuit is not exactly the same. Beigel did lend his expertise to Electro-Harmonix, creating an update of his original design, the Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron.
    A reissue pedal made by HAZ Laboratories, called the Mu-tron III+, has been made. It is digital and does not sound anything like the original.

I also don´t understand the hate of the HAZ ... if it does not sound 100% like the original does not mean worse.

So it is a lie when the ebay-seller of a HAZ claims "exact same circuitry as the original"?!

9. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Had both years ago. The HAZ is a different circuit. The one I had was all smd and had a LOT more going on internally than the very simple design of the origional mutron.

While the III+ got the quack, I liked the origional more. Not because it is te origional or had some mystical mumbo-jumbo..but the design lent itself to the filter not always sounding perfect.

When a seller says it is an exact replica or circuit of the origional it IS a lie.

10. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Looking at the HAZ it appearslike they added some bells and whistles. I'd call it an improved version if anything. SMD doesn't matter.

11. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    If many of the original components are no longer manufactured then I could see even following the original circuit leaves out some of the extra magic of the original Mutron III. People often credit the character of the Mutron to the old school (bit on the dirty side) photo couplers used. These photo couplers are no longer made and UN-available for a production product.

IME & IMO my refurbished Mutron III is the greatest sound effect I've plugged into period and one of my rigs most prized possessions. I have a envelope filter addiction and have been through many including mutronish clones.

12. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    I guess HAZ has also different versions, newer models have three small switches inside the battery compartment so you can set some parameters. The early models doesn't have this feature.

13. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    Would you mind if I ask for clips?

14. I owned a Mutron+ a few years back and didn't like it...I don't think I ever got sounds as good as the clips posted above (wish i did)...Since then, I 've been through quite a few pedals looking for the one. I finally bought a musictronics version and found it...I'm about to send it out to L audio to get a true bypass mod and have it recalibrated. Can't Wait!!

15. I own both and they are *quite different*. The HAZ is what I'd call a modern pedal, the volume output is fairly consistent (for an envelope filter at least) and while mine definitely doesn't have true bypass, the "off" signal isn't impacted terribly. The original is a beast- much wetter, much wilder, and MUCH greater fluctuations in output volume with different settings. The "Gain" knob, somewhat equivalent of the "Peak" knob on the HAZ, affects the volume *even when the effect is disengaged*, and it really is a gain knob, having a big impact on the output volume as well as setting the sensitivity of the filter. The boost at the cutoff frequency can also be twitchy and cause massive volume spikes, especially in "down" mode. Very, very freaky. It is a bit tougher to get a good sound out of due to control issues and to how much the controls interact with each other, but those sounds are "better"- more extreme, wetter, and wilder, and it's definitely what Bootsy used on the classic Parliament recordings. I use the HAZ on my gigging pedal board, I wouldn't gig with the Musitronics pedal, it's too unpredictable. Now the QTron Plus is right between them- not as wet/wild as the Musitronics, but it definitely is in the same ballpark, while on the other hand not having as huge a range in output volumes and thus easier to deal with on a gig and easier to match to your un-effected volume. For me the Musitronics is studio gear because you need to carefully set up your amp's gain structure to handle some of the more extreme sounds, and the pedal itself is delicate, rare, and expensive. Just a note, my HAZ is 14 years old, and it's been bullet-proof. But given that mine is so old, the new ones might have true bypass.

dinoadventures and Laurent like this.
  16. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    wow, great answers, every post so far helps me a lot!

any thoughts/experience with the MuTron III clone "Neutron"? does this clone sound more HAZ or more like the original?

(edit: speaking of "clone" ... did you see the "New 3Leaf Audio pedal" thread? sounds promising ...)

17. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    In the documentation it is described as a work-alike IIRC but I have heard it is a mostly direct copy. Regardless, it was made by RG Keen, so I trust it. The gain only applies to the non-bypass side.

18. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I currently have a HAZ, and get great sounds out of it. It's a great gigging pedal.
    My opinion of its downside is that it takes up a lot of real estate.
    I have a prototype of Spencer's new pedal coming, and will put it through its paces when it arrives.

19. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Clips will take some time but if you PM me your email I can send you a 3min idea I recorded for my band. I use the Mutron in with the Down Sweep and High Range.

20. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    PM sent.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2022