1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mu-tron or AF-9?! Oh, boy...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Andy V., Nov 30, 2006.

1. I traded my Q-tron for a Maxon AF-9, which I thought would be a interesting thing.
    Less saucy than I imagined.
    Yesterday, I went to my guitarshop and they had a musitronics mu-tron.
    I tested it and was not so thrilled.

My question is: should I trade my AF-9 for the mu-tron? or should I start looking for a q-tron?

Help!

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I think that you might have answered your own question, assuming that you liked your Q-Tron. Here's the impression I'm getting from your post about your opinions:

EHX Q-Tron seems better than the Maxon AF-9
    Maxon AF-9 seems better than the Musitronics Mu-Tron
    EHX Q-Tron seems better than the Musitronics Mu-Tron

I would almost suggest going for a Q-Tron again, except that I don't know why you traded it off. What I've already said could be all wrong... maybe you didn't like the Q-Tron, maybe you did. What did you like (and not like) about the Q-Tron? There might be another envelope filter beyond what you've already tried that will work better for your needs.

3. this is exactly what im going through right now. i own a Q-tron+ and am trying to decide to get a Maxon Af-9 or the Musitronics Mu-Tron III.

I'm going to keep my Q-tron and get a Maxon. The Mu-Tron is too expensive, plus will most likely be stolen.

I <3 envelope filters.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Q-Tron is saucier than the AF9 IME... the tradeoff being that the AF9 is more "under control". The original MuTron I used to have was somewhere between the two. But the MuTrons vary, sort of the way Muffs do, and of course there's the reissue III+ by HazLabs which is not as good (IMO).

Can you bring the AF9 into the shop to A/B it with the MuTron? And do they have a QTron as well?

5. interesting. So which one do you prefer?

6. Mabis2012

Mabis2012

Mar 25, 2006
    the af9 maxon is in a different league to the ehm q tron.
    the af9 is very thick soudning , very 70s funky vibe.
    the qtron is thin, wishy washy and doesnt feel thick and creamy like the maxon, it feels like a cheapo rendition.
    dont get me wrong the bassballs, small stone and phase stone are the best pedals out there but the q tron range, which is a recent addition and design are coming from a 90s cheap cut cost era.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well, the ones I use currently are an Ibanez UE303B (which is essentially a vintage AF9 plus a 9-series compressor and chorus/flanger), and a MAM RS3 rackmount, which is similar to a Moog filter. So I guess of the three the OP mentioned, I like the AF9 best- but it's all extremely subjective.

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I love my Mutron. I paid for the Lsound upgrades and they made a big difference. I've owned the Frostwave, the Emma, tried all the EHX, owned the Mooger, the Lovetone Meatball. The Mutron has all of those sounds (apart from LFO) IME better than the other pedals.

9. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    I highly recomend checking out Chunk sytems website. They make the Agent OOfunk mark 2. They have a great selection of sound samples and thier pedal can make about any sound.

10. The problem with the q-tron was the volume issue.
    The problem with the af-9 is that I find it too weak.

To be true, I'm having a hard time tweaking this thing.
    With the q-tron it was like 1, 2 minutes and it's all done.

I don't know if the maxon is more sensible in this department.
    I can't get a decent qwak low sound. I'm thinking Headhunter's "Chameleon"...

Or maybe it's just the place in my chain, I'll try to move it today at rehearsal. I'm going bass>M-80>loop [EHX Bass MicroSynth>AF-9>Digitech BSW]>amp.

But I don't know...
    Does any of you got one and have some settings to share?

11. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I had a UE303B, and the AF-9 in it was definitely better to me than the Maxon AF-9. The only Q-Tron I've liked so far was the Mini Q. I'm actually considering trying out the Tone Lok AW-7.

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I've tried many of them.
    I was very fond of the AF-9 but the EBS Bass IQ has my preference.
    It was built with bass in mind so all settings are usable and sound big and juicy.

13. I know!
    Too bad I can't find one in my country...
    :(

14. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    I have an Ibanez UE303B multi-FX with builtin AF-9, plus a Maxon AF-9. I like 'em both but the one on the UE seems a little raunchier, and the compressor lets me even out the level and further control the envelope of the effect. In comparison the Maxon seems as little bit tamer and more controlled, but that's not a bad thing. The only thing these pedals lack is a clean blend--IMO they's be perfect if they had 'em.

I've played a Q-Tron and the Haz-labs Mutron reissue. Liked 'em both but the Haz was very noisy--maybe a bum unit? Got good used prices on the UE303B and AF-9 so that's what I bought.

15. Yeah, the ones I tested were also very noisy.

Well, in the very beggining of the chain, the sound is better.
    I'll try to record and post something.

Thanks everybody!

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I use a pedal made by Guyatone called the Ultron,it's strongly based off of the original Mutron and it pretty much is all the pedals you describe in your OP with a few extra's,If you're interested in checking one out I'm sure if you contact Guyatone they can tell you where they may have a dealer that's near you.

here you'll find a video of it being used.

http://www.gearwire.com/guyatone-optical.html