Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mu-tron Vs. Q-tron

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Abluesbassist, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Hey Guys i just recorded thte bass tracks for my bands new cd and i used an old Mu-tron III envelope filter. i haven't been able to find one for sale ( i borrowed this one) but i did find the Q-tron and all the descriptions have said that is is close to the Mutron. has aany one played through both? or even just the Q-tron if so how good is in on bass all the sound clips i've heard are on guitar.

ps. any sound clips of the Q-tron with bass would be awsome.

thanks
    Dan

2. The Q-Tron is an updated version of the MuTron designed by Mike Biegel the original MuTron III designer and Mike Matthews the mad man behind the ElectroHarmonix efx line. IMO is is quieter, has a greater frequency response and has a broader range of sounds than the original.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'll agree that it does have more sounds than the Mutron, but I like the sounds of a Mutron better. I feel that the Mutron is a much thicker sounding pedal, whereas the Q-Tron is a bit too thin and transparent for my tastes.

If you want over the top, Bootsy type sludge, get the Mutron. If you want something more subtle, go with the Q-Tron. If you want to do both (and millions of other things), get a Lovetone Meatball if you can find one. Shazaam!

4. One sounds perferct from the moment you plug in...the other is a headache.

5. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Amen to that.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Hmmm. I found just the opposite to be true. Granted, the Q-tron takes a bit more tweaking, but I A/B/C'd a vintage Mutron, a reissue Mutron, and a Q-tron, and to my ears, the Q-tron did the best job of maintaining the low end. I liked the vintage Mutron quite well, and I thought that the Q-tron did a better job of mimicking the original's vibe than the reissue did. The vintage Mutron, though, really lost a lot of its low end when engaged. Since it was vintage, though, I suppose it could have been malfunctioning...

At any rate, I am very happy with my Q-tron, though again, it does take some tweaking.

Tom.

7. Unfortunetly, vintage Mutron's rarely sound identical. I have owned three and all differed slightly in some way.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Good point. Come to think of it, I did try two older units, and one of them really didn't sound too good at all. The other one had a great vibe, but did lose some low end.

Tom.

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    The Mutron I played was a reissue. Supa cool, but the Meatball finally won out. Not that it was a fair contest, though.

10. The re-issue is a surprisingly good filter IMO, much smoother than most. Not as "squelchy" or wet as it could be but it still outlasted my EBS,MXR and Chunk Agent00Funk due to it's superior tone.