1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Much Love for Prosteels

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by The modifier, May 8, 2010.

1. In this past week I purchased myself an Ibanez SRX500 (amazing bass for the money IMO), my local GC was out of regular Daddario nickel plated XL's and I settled for the XL prosteels 45-100, after I initially strung them on I was turned off by a couple of reasons, one they felt a bit too rough and the sound was a bit on the harsh side, but alas I decided to keep them on for a while and WOW have I been amazed, after the first week of use the roughness on them seems to somehow be tamed, and best of all the sound is utterly amazing once they break in; the top end is smooth and "sparkly" (if that makes sense:smug:) and it is complemented nicely by a thick low end growl with just the right amount of mids. Played with a plectrum (my preference) you get a thick crunchy sound with an amazing treble bite :bassist:, with slap style these strings just sing. They are on the low tension side compared to nickel XL's. They have been on the bass for about 4 weeks now and they still have plenty of life left in them so durability is also on the good side. Im simply in love with these strings, I have a new found love for rounds and im afraid ill be putting away the chromes for a while. Anyone else here use Prosteels ? Share the love :)

2. I allways wanted to give them a Try. The only Issue that I have with them is, that they don´t offer a Set with a tapered B-String.

Have to think about it.

3. I love them pretty much for the same reasons you stated, although I never play slap style. They were my fave roundwounds until I discovered Sadowsky Blue Label stainless steel rounds.

4. The only reason I see to use tapered strings is to not being able to set the saddle lower enough to have the desired (low) action on the string. Have had that problem with the higher strings but rarely on the lower.
    Is that your case?

Mystic Michael likes this.
  5. I use ProSteels almost exclusively. Great strings.

6. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

They have a tapered B available. You will need to purchase as a single though.

7. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You say low tension, how does their tension relate to say DR Fatbeams or Hi beams?

8. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Definitely between the DR's and the XL nickels. I am one who uses ProSteels and Hi-Beams exclusively. I just happen to have a bass strung with the nickels and was able to comment directly from experience :)

9. i hate username

i hate username

Jan 9, 2006
    I used them up untill i switched to elixers(very recently, i actually trying out a few different brands at the mo) Love them. Worked really well on both my p-bass and my corvette(still on the p) A real cut above Ernie Ball Slinkys. (i used hybrid slinkys)
    I didnt find them lasting very long though. But they arnt as expensive as a lot of other brands so i didnt really mind.

10. dutchwife

dutchwife

Aug 6, 2007
    Osaka, Japan
    Yep, count me in. 30+ years of bassin' and they're the best yet. Don't know about Stateside but over here in Japan PS's are not just the only steelies available but they're really competitively priced too. Let's hope that the D'Addies don't throw another 'Prism' move eh........

11. Thats exactly how I would describe their tension, bought a set of hi-beams in the past I did not care much for the hi-beams, they sounded way too thin for my likings.

12. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Hmm, between, well, I really like the tension on the Fatbeams, and the XL nickels I've got on one bass seem really tight, so I'm not sure on the ps...

13. Yes, this.

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    This thread is proof there are a lot of different tastes out there! I tried them, and absolutely HATED them. Clanky highs, over booming lows, and absolutely no mids. Sounded like FiElDy in a box.

15. While not a user of stainless steel-ish strings, I can say that Pro Steels are the best of that type I ever used. They were not as rough feeling as the others and lasted quite a while on a short scale I had at the time.

16. ilmaio

ilmaio

Sep 3, 2009
    Cremona - Italy
    Same for me, i wanted to give them a try because a lot of people here on TB talked so well about them, but i hate them!
    To much clanking and very rough on fingers.

17. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    They can get "glassy", but I think they can sound like "regular" strings with the treble down. I had them on my P-bass. I think they're cool but prefer Fender nickels.

18. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    This was my experience as well!

Different Strokes and all that. :)

19. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    I've been using prosteels for a few years and love. They sound bright and make my stingray sing.

20. Well I respect all the opinions of the nay sayers on pro steels, but just a thought perhaps you guys didn't allow enough time for the prosteels to properly break in ?