1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Much Mo Bedda Surf Band Mix

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by ToneMonkey, Jun 27, 2012.

1. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    About three weeks ago I posted about a challenging band mix when the guitarist in the surf band I play in with starts diming his amp.

Since then, I've acquired a MIM P, strung it with Labella flats, and installed a neoprene mute under the strings at the bridge.

Last night was the first rehearsal with the new bass.

Things went dramatically better. I was definitely able to get underneath everything so that the bass sat better in the mix.

I used my T-Funk 420 with two Bag End 15" cubes. I set the amp fairly neutral (didn't consciously try to push or scoop anything), Gain all the way up, Tone rolled back a bit on the bass. Whereas last time I was dimed and still couldn't hear myself, this time I played on 4 and had power to spare so that I could use a nice light touch. Night and day compared to last time.

I definitely see what there is to love about a mute. I could have used a bit more. I found myself adding some extra palm muting. Also, I found that a super light touch actually gave a bit more thump and separation between the notes. A bit counter-intuitive. I'm probably going to try some different picks... felt, rubber, maybe leather. Any ideas?

Thanks again all for the help. Much appreciated.

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Glad to hear it. Wish I could make one of your gigs, then again I'm glad to be busy.