Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Much more sound with more speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big Benner, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Hey everyone,

How much louder would 2 4x10 cabs be then a 2x10 +1x15 set up? All cabs being 8ohms and run by the same head,... and for fun all cabs being Yorkvilles.

I just played a gig with my SWR SM900 head + Yorkville 2x10 & 1x15 and got creemed by the guitarist. Now I won't do that again,... I'm not going to play in a band that plays louder than my 800watt amp can go WITH PA SUPPORT. Anyways,... sorry, I had to vent. The guitar player has promised me that won't happen again.

Back to the question. I've never wanted more volume than my current set up produces but I'm wondering if I just got lost in the mix with my speakers. I started off the set with everything (including gain, Aural enhancer & Limiter) set flat or 12o'clock and when I had my master volume approaching 1o'clock (in bridged mono mode) and the power amp cilp led occasionally flashing,... I began to tweak the 500 -1000hz to try and get some more mids. That got me thinking about speakers and that perhaps a bunch of 10inch speakers might help me out.

Any thoughts? Will it affect my low B? I kind of think having 2 4x10 cabs will handle the low B but I'm not sure at that volume. I can probably rent 2 4x10 Yorkville cabs for the next gig but I just wanted opinions on the direction I was heading.

Thanks.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you can rent a pair of Yorkville 4x10s and try the alternate rig...go for it and let your ears be your guide.

Trying to win a volume war with a guitarist is pointless...you're going to waste a ton of money building a rig that is difficult to move around and in the end when you're both playing way too loud, you're stressing your expensive gear, the band's sound is going to suffer and the audience won't enjoy it either...

I've been in this situation and played it the wrong way... I wish I just would have said enough is enough...either I run through the PA or you won't hear me. Heck only the bass players in the audience would probably notice anyway :(

An SM900 paired with a 2x10 and 1x15 should be enough gear to play any gig you'll ever encounter. If the room is that big, you should be going through the PA where the sound person will (hopefully) create a good mix of the whole band without you having to fill the room from the stage...

A few summers ago I saw Alan Parson's Walk Down Abbey Road concert outdoors in Chicago. Jack Bruce was doing bass duty that year with Mark Farner on guitar (as well as Godfrey Townshend). While the crowd was treated to a fairly loud show, the musicians were able to talk to one another from across the rather wide stage. Either the stage volume was low or they've gotten really good at reading lips over the years. They didn't seem to have any problems communicating with one another mid-song.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now...but do give the pair of 4x10s a try if it's practical, but please don't try it just to be louder than the silly guitarist.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Overall speaker sensitivity is roughly proportional to cone area. Sounds like you are thinking of roughly doubling the cone area, so you might expect a 3 dB increase in sensitivity.

If you are not already driving your existing speakers to their rated power, it might be more portable and cheaper to upgrade your head, rather than buy more speakers.

But I'm with BillyB. You can't win the arms race against tube guitar amps and incompetent guitarists. If they know how to play, they can figure out how to get a good tone at a lower volume level.

4. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

The really big bands are using in ear monitors and or low volume floor mon's. Many Heavy metal bands that were previuosely so loud that the monitor mix guy was frustrated to death are now using dummy amps and you can speak at normal volumes on stage and be heard well.
    The mains are still Loud and half.
    The trend is to low stage volumes.

Best Of Luck,
    Wesley R.

PS. Bassists are disadvantages in a volume war. The audience losses also

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    If you had the enhance knob at 12 o'clock, it was *not* flat. You have to turn it all the way to the left.