Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mucho computer problems! can someone help?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    ok i went to install a game on the computer...so i put the disk in and it doesnt work and my computer freezes up! so i shut it down and when i turned it back on it said that the computer is low on virtual memory and doesnt have a paging file. so i go into system on the control panel, then to performance and the place where i can adjust the paging file. everytime i input any number besides 0 it says that its too big. what!?!? i've only tried this in safe mode because when im in normal mode i cant click on anything because it says there is not enough memory to run the program?

also, i cant install norton antivirus on my computer. whenever i try it always reaches like 99% when its installing but than at the last minute it says that it didnt install and that there was an error.

sorry im not really good with computers and if im not clear enough here i'll try again, but does anyone know how to solve any of this? or at least direct to someone who can?

by the way, i have a Dell with windows xp on it.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Does your UserID on that computer have the ability to change that? You may have to be logged in as administrator. If you pack as much physical memory as you can into your computer it won't ever be a problem because your computer won't even use a paging file. That may not be economically viable though. Believe me, I understand.

brad cook

3. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i logged onto the administrator and it still didnt work

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hmmm... I don't know why it wouldn't change. So in the Virtual Memory Change section does the computer have it set at "No Paging File" and you tried clicking on "Custom Size" and putting in your own size? Is that right? Did you try clicking on "System Managed Size" too?

You may have to choose a restore point from before you tried to install your game and do a system restore and then try it out of safe mode...althought I don't see why doing it in safe mode would be a problem. At the very least though doing a system restore would get you back to where you started.

brad cook

5. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    yeah i tried everything. it doesnt adjust whatever i put in... it always says it is too big. it just says 0 everywhere i dont get it.

how do i choose a restore point and do everything you said?

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    START->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore.

Then click "restore my computer to an earlier time" and then "next."
    Then choose a date prior to the game installation and click next. This will restore your computer to how it was before you installed the game.

I'm going to bed now so you're on your own. Good luck!

brad cook

7. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    thank you so much i'll give it a try tomorrow!

8. What game is it? My sister bought Uru a while ago and it needed some sort of special memory thing.

9. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Are you sure you didn't run out of hard drive space?

10. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i dont have much on my computer so i dont think so. how can i check? someone also told me that i might need to defragment my hard drive but it wont let me do that either.

11. If needed a reformatting will fix anything.

12. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Nothing like doing the 6-month Windows reinstall shuffle eh? :)

13. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    ok i tried the system restore thing and it said:

System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer and run System Restore again.

!!!!

so i restart my computer and it does the same thing.

i tried this in safe mode because in normal mode it kept saying there wasn't enough free memory to run the program.

14. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    please explain

15. hmmmm maybe its not a virus, but something like spyware or adware(i highly doubt it, but your comp could use a cleaning)

1.Go to Download.com
    2.Download Ad-Aware
    3.Download Spybot
    4.Run these programs, itll help, but prollly wont help this problem.

16. reformatting, is cleaning out your computer, and basically deleting all stuff, so you get a fresh start.

17. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i have spysweeper but it wont let me run it, and it wont let me go online either because it keeps saying there isnt enough free memory to run anything.

18. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    how do i this? dont i need a disk i think i know what youre talking about.

19. id do it but i dont know where you live, if i were you id ask a professional, plz remember you lose everthing, you might as well make a copy of your hardrive or at least the stuff you want. :smug:

20. delete spysweeper, its not good, download spybot. Delete some old stuff on your computer or check your hardrive(s) to see how much memory you have left, then post it.