1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Muckelroy medium scale 5 string build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jmceachern36, Nov 4, 2013.

1. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    Ok. I've seen a few of these threads documenting A custom build and I enjoyed watching the progress so I thought I'd start my own. Brady Muckelroy from San Marcos Texas is building me a medium scale 5 string. He makes some amazing basses. Check him out at http://www.bradybass.com or on Facebook. This is what we talked about for specs.

5 string
    32 inch scale
    As lightweight as he can make it (6 to 6.5 if possible)
    Light color
    Passive pickups

I'm giving Brady artistic freedom with the rest so it will evolve as the build progresses. There are only so many lightweight woods so he said swamp ash and Spanish cedar are 2 nice possibilities. For the top he just picked up some Ambrosia maple. It's lightweight and has some nice figuring. He just sent some pics last night.

photo1_zps2c56cee7.

photo2_zps6c42ab16.

photo3_zps9618e5fb.

2. ebonalley

ebonalley

May 17, 2010
    Subbed. That wood looks nice.

3. jmceachern36

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA

Yours is one of the threads I was following. How's your Muck treating you?... I forgot to add I picked his Ensemble shape.

4. deb

deb

Mar 10, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Looks very cool!

I've had a couple of custom 32" scale 4 string basses made by luthier and fellow talkbasser Grant Bass. For both builds, reduced weight was a high priority. I asked to have the bodies as thin as possible, deeply contoured, with larger electronic cavities. The first bass used Spanish cedar as the body wood, the second used Paulownia. The Spanish Cedar bass was chambered slightly and is very light (6.8 lbs). The Paulowania wasn't chambered and is even lighter (6.3 lbs). If I have another bass built, I will definitely use Paulowania as the body wood.

Good luck with your build!

5. ebonalley

ebonalley

May 17, 2010
    She continues to impress. I just got it back after some inlay work. If your interested, let Brady know early. The Ensemble looks like a real nice shape. Look forward to your updates.

6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I'm fortunate to have made a few trips to his shop and played a few of his creations. He makes great stuff. He's gonna build one for me in a few months

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    No reason to cover that up with paint. You should leave it natural with a clear finish.

8. jmceachern36

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA

You're right for sure. Brady actually puts on a hand rubbed clear finish on all of his basses as far as I know.

9. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    Sub'd, always enjoys watching his builds take shape!

10. Met Brady back in September on a trip out to Austin (to see Iron Maiden!). I actually went out to the shop to talk with Scott Beckwith about renecking and refinishing an old SD Curlee USA. Brady was there and I was wowed by his line of basses as well. Beautiful! He's a great player too!

The SD currently is disassembled and awaiting sanding. Going with a oil finish on it....

Thinking about driving back out there to get it when it's done. Those guys in that shop are some of the coolest dudes ever. And top notch luthiers. I would not hesitate to purchase anything they've had their hands on.

11. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Subbed too. I followed Ebonalley's build thread, and been gassing ever since. Can't wait to see the progress reports.

12. jmceachern36

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    Just got a text from Brady today. He's starting on the neck this week. It's going to be cherry on the outside with curly maple in the center. Maple board I believe. No pics yet but I'm sure it'll be soon. He's starting on the body soon as well. The body wood (last I spoke to him about it) is going to be swamp ash with ambrosia maple on top.... I know. No pics no bass. Soon!

13. jmceachern36

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    Neck coming together

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1386957004.958292.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1386957023.149640.

14. jmceachern36

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    Neck blank.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1387066392.981725.

15. jmceachern36

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
  16. jmceachern36

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
  17. jmceachern36

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
  18. I don't know.....I think it maybe needs another clamp or two on there.....:bag:

I kid!!

19. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's like a little Christmas tree of clamps.

20. jmceachern36

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    More progress.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1387299034.045764.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1387299053.305400.