1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mudbucker as bridge pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by The Lurker, Sep 10, 2008.

1. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    The thought occurred to me after I saw a Rivoli with dual humbuckers in another discussion here and read this thread, and I was wondering how a sidewinder-type mudbucker would work as a bridge pickup.

I imagine you still wouldn't get much in the way of the high end out of it, but has anyone had any experience with this?

I wonder if an Epi EB-3 with dual mudbuckers would be fun?

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Iamthebassman has a factory made stereo EB-2 with two of the big humbuckers. Try PMing him.

3. Standard Mudbucker (I have one lying here) has string spacing for neck pos. You might (probably will) find that the strings don't coincide with pole pieces at te bridge pos.

Whether that matters is up to you.

4. Thump Jr.

Thump Jr.

Jun 8, 2008
    SW FL
    I know that Warwick has basses with similar-looking pickups in neck and bridge positions (the Star Bass II and Jack Bruce Cream Reunion Bass). They look really cool.

5. So, has anyone tried this yet with those Gibson/Epi replacement pups you can get on the bay? I'm really curious about this, because I bought a project byo bass that came with crappy pups. I bought one of these pups already for the neck position, and I'm thinking of getting another one for the bridge. I know it'd be a cheap experiment, but there would be a lot of routing involved that I might regret if these pups sound like crap in the bridge position.

Anyone?

Sorry to revive a dead thread.

6. Another thread revival, because I'm contemplating further butchery to my Peavey by adding a couple more pickups and considering what to use for the one between the existing pickup and the bridge.

7. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I see that this is quite old, but if you are still watching - I added TWO mudbuckers to my Hagstrom H-II back in the 70's. One at the neck, one at the bridge and one Hagstrom pup in the center. Volume controls for all of them and a master volume.

All I can say is that the sound is enormous! I have never heard anything else like it. The neck pup is thunderous and the bridge pup adds a deep growl with mids but no highs for a little clarity that the mudbuckers normally lack. I continually get comments on the sound of the bass. When I want something quieter or more "normal" I switch them off and use the Hag pup.

This was an experiment that really worked. Of course I still have the bass! The only downside is that the sound is so strong that the 2 MB sound can only be used for rock - it just doesn't fit with other types of music, but I can live with it. Amazingly, it still has the strings on it from the 70's (rounds!) and the combo just sounds so good I won't change them.

Attached Files: