Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Muddy Overtones

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Often Lost, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Often Lost

Often Lost

Jan 3, 2004
    Hi, I'm having some problems with my bass. When I play, the notes I played wont stop ringing even after I lift my finger. So it gets really muddy really fast. Also, whenever I play an open note, the lower string next to it fifth fret harmonic will play. I tried useing a hair scrunchy to stop the overtones, but it just doesnt work. Any ideas?

2. Time for a new set of strings, perhaps?

3. new strings, what is your e.q doing, on the bass and the amp?

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's why muting technique is so important!! :meh:

5. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    technique!!...yes..its all in how you pull off the string ...and/or the use of both hands in one way or another to constantly subcontiously deaden / rest and semi muffle these open strings that are not required to ring ...and everyone does it in their own individual style...it all comes with time and practice.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup - new strings would almost certainly make the problem described, much worse!!

7. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    new strings are an issue that should be handled by good technique...

8. well obviously the guy would know whether he was muting the strings properly!. Or does he? Sounds like a tone/ E.Q. thing to me.

9. hello mcfly???? are you there?

10. pickups too close to the strings, maybe? Try give more space.

11. Throwing out random ideas without much real thought or knowledge why this could happen is pretty much par for the course here.

Would all of you guys suggesting changing parts on his bass stop for a second and realize that NO sound, muddy or otherwise, would come from his bass if the strings weren't vibrating. The EQ isn't going to stop the strings, and a new set of strings won't stop this either. There's only ONE way to stop strings from vibrating after it's desired they stop and that's with MUTING!!

And with that, I'm sending this where it should be and that's technique.

MUTING - LEARN IT, LOVE IT, LIVE IT!

12. don't mean to be anal, but where does it say in "often lost's" thread about the word Vibration, the word ringing is used. Now I guess either this guy is a beginner and doesn't know what muting is,or he knows what muting is and its something else, thats all. I was just asuming he would know what muting other strings whilst not playing, that should be common sense. You can get what you could call muddy overtones from standing too close to your amp if playing loud enough, which is I suppose a subtle bass feedback. Anyway, hopefully its all sorted for him. :)

13. Often Lost

Often Lost

Jan 3, 2004
    Thanks, but any idea why the harmonic rings on the string over when I hit an open note?

14. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    ok

15. Thats why I thought It wasn't a muting issue from the word go, Often lost you should ask this question to the luthers corner. They should be able to help you out!

16. Often Lost

Often Lost

Jan 3, 2004
    Ok, the muddy-ness was just feedback, I corrected this. But the harmonic ringing with the pluck of an open note still baffles me.

17. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    the feedback comment concerns me! :eek:

18. First of all:

Congratulations on the feedback, I'm always proud when I have it happen to me. Not that it's actually a good thing, I just think it's cool.

As for the harmonic:

Are you sure it's the fifth-fret harmonic that is ringing? It seems to me that it's more likely the seventh-fret harmonic, which will be the same note (two octaves up) as the open string above. If it is actually the fifth fret, I'm not really sure what would cause that.

19. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan

How can feedback possibly not be a good thing.- Always the apex of any performance- professional or not- especially mic feedback that makes the audience jump in unison as if electrified- :hyper: :eek:

Any way- back to the story.

Please don't think I'm being patronising- but which string exactly is the harmonic coming from?
    (I'm usnure from the above posts as to whether it is the string plucked that is ringing or wether the harmonic is ringing out from another string...)

If this is a seventh fret harmonic is it possible that the seventh fret could need some TLC. maybe making the fret touch lower would solve the issue- or even adjusting the action might help.

I'm not a pro though- and I'm thinking off the top of my head - Obviously before making any severe adjustments I'd consult whoever is best qualified/most trustworthy to set-up your bass.

20. Often Lost

Often Lost

Jan 3, 2004
    When I hit any open string, the FIFTH fret harmonic on the lower string next to it rings. Although now, I adjusted my pre-amp and compressor, so its harder to hear it. But its still there :meh: