Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

muddy sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bloodandwhiskey, Nov 8, 2005.

1. I'm not sure if this should be under technique or here, so sorry if it in the wrong place.

When ever i play finger style though my 400 watt yorkville amp, the sound comes out very muddy(for lack of a better term), i don't have to same problem when playing out of my 15watt amp. Is there any way i can change to EQ to take care of this problem?(i currently just have all the settings up almost as high as they will go)

2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Use more mids and less bass.

3. First off i'd put all eq at neutral and tweak from there.
    Second out of curiosity, do you have this muddy problem with a pick too?

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    IME, mud lives in the 100-200K range.

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I agree start with tones at 12 o'clock and don't be afraid to put bass or lows somewhere BEFORE 12 o'clock. its not a sin! just seems like one. ;)

sometimes just lowering the bass and treble will sound like turning up the mids!?!?! crazy, but true! :hyper:

6. firstly, playing with everything full is the best way to make mud pies, and secondly, you are just making your amp work harder to do it.

like the other guys said, put the eq flat (probably 12 o'clock) and add little bits from there... instead of boosting the bass to get more fullness, try adding low mids, or cut back on the high mids.

this way you will probably get more volume out of your amp as well, which is probably why you were turning everything up full in the first place...