Mudvayne bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rmp5s, Mar 19, 2001.

1. rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    Anyone here know how Ryknow gets his bass to sound the way it does. It goes from a death ridden Fieldy-ish click to the exact opposite, mid boosted, no click, almost jazz-ish sort of sound just from time to time. Kinda hard to describe but it adds so much to the music. I think it's wah, but I don't know. Listen to "-1" for an example. All of their songs have examples in them, but this is easy to hear. Also listen to "Dig". I know he plays Warwick 5-strings and tunes them G-D-G-D-something so he has two sets of open octaves. If you like heavy music (kinda like Pantera and Primus had a kid or something) check this sh*t out!
  2. From the BP interview, he said he gets the click from plucking down into the bass. He uses 1-2-3-2-1 finger rotation, ala classical guitar. He also uses different right hand positions- planting his thumb on the bridge pup, neck pup, fingerboard, and slapping/popping.
  3. rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    Thanks to my BP Mag. subscription, I also read that artical. I saw that there was a piece about him in there and I eagerly read the artical looking for something about how he gets that weird sound. I figured that he played down on the neck even when playing normally to get that click and I thought it was a little ironic that I have always played the same way. The sound I am talking about is almost like he uses a wah or something. I was slightly dissapointed because it said nothing about how he gets that sound. Good artical, though.
  4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    He tunes GCGCF. His finger patterns are 1-2-3-2-1-3 and 1-2-3-2-4-3-2-4, not 1-2-3-2-1 like Paste said.

His tone is classic Warwick Thumb. I played a neckthru 5 with the double bridge pickups, and i could get the exact same tones he does. Interesting, but nothing out of the ordinary. He is a fine player, though.
  5. rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    I just downloaded a live video of "Dig" off of iMesh and he is AWESOME to watch. Running around the stage, slapping the he!! out of that bass. I've been looking for that tone, but if the only way I can get it is to play a bass like that, screw it. I don't have that much money. I am looking into getting a Corvette FNA, however...think that'll work?