Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mudvayne Bassist.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by PollyBass, Aug 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, I was listening to "Death Bloom" by Mudvayne. is it just me, or is Ryknow (The bassist) so much more talentde than anyone in that band? all i know hes slaping and popping, laying down an awesome groove and hopping around the catchy (But mind numbingly simple) Guitar riffs. Whats your Opinon on him? and i want peoples opinon's taht have acttly HEARD them. not stupid anti-metal losers how have nothing else to do but say. "Well i dont know but i bet he sucks. cuz.....well......its metal . huh huh."

2. I like the stuff he does...i never heard slapping and popping in a metal band. I think what he does is very good and probably is the most talanted person in the band but i don't know them so i couldn't say. He gets a great sound from his warwick thumb that he uses.

3. Yeah that´s right, he is a talented bass player. very hard to find in the so called nu metal .
    Live he is great , he has great posture and attitude,
    and with that he catchs the audience attencion to his popping and slap stuff...

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    If you do ever get a chance top see them live, and like that kinda stuff. hes the only one in the band thats actuly cool to watch, besides the singer hopping around everywere. the guitarist just sorta stands there. well, at the show i saw anyway. and what i did notice is that he wears his bass a little higher than most "Nu-metal" bands do. and still looks awesome playing. i love dudes that can get down and still hold the groove.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I like his playing, but I don't like his tone. Far too ordinary Warwick tone (put both pickups on, attack hard, and you've got it), and his especially doesn't get nearly enough fundamental for my tastes. Mostly clicking.

6. Yeah he is really really good. He use to play in a jazz fusion band before he played in Mudvayne. I saw him live back in April, they are a really good metal band. They have alot more to offer than some of the other 'nu-metal' bands.

I also think that their drummer is really pretty good as well. Their music is really incredible because Ryknow (bassist) plays like lead and the guitar is almost the bass in the group...impressive I think, even for the non-metal lovers.

7. Personally i think the drummer of MuDvAyNe is very good

8. PowerMad

PowerMad

Aug 6, 2001
    I'm glad you brought up the drummer Allodo because he is indeed very good.

As for Ryknow...he is one of my favorite bass players. I would love to hear some of his old fusion stuff. It probably blows mudvayne outta the musical water.

9. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    ::Rant On::

Oy...this is kinda off subject here, but what the bloody hell is up with all the "Justin Chanceller (spl?) and Ryknow are the greatest" threads popping up? Yea, they're good, but not so good as to warrent all this friggen bandwith. They just happen to be two talented bassists in "popular" bands. I wonder if we'd be having "Victor Wooten and Matthew Garrison of the greatest" threads if Bela Fleck & The Flecktones and The Zawinal Syndicate suddenly started getting nationwide airplay.

::Rant Off::

10. Hey did any of you know Ryknow uses 4 strings also? I saw them at OZZFEST Wed. and he used a 4 string Thumb on their opener "-1" and on their closer "Dig". I think he had it tuned down to drop B.

11. Yeah, i saw them at ozzfest and they were really good, the best show there! ryknow is great and so is the rest of mudvayne

12. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    yeah I read about him in Bass Player. I went to Borders with the drummer in my band to read BassPlayer and he wouldnt let me finish the damn article!!! He sounds like a good bass player and he said something about plucking the strings in a different way than everyone else does... Free strokes maybe?? I can never get the hang of that since I spend most of my time with a pick. :D

13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    *Rant On* to BassistJ. i dont think your seeing threads on them being the "greatest" but there is one that asks who do you think (In your opinion) is better? posts. and this one asks what you THINK of him, not that hes the greatst.

*Rant Off*

What the heck are free strokes?

14. I think he's really cool and i agree w/ bassist j that he's definatley not the best but the best didnt look soo cool and hop around and have horns.:D

15. fart gas

fart gas Not Registered

He has good basslines for metal, but I dont think hes that good. His popping and slapping is really simple. Hes cool though. Finally there is a metal bassist that you can actually hear.

16. PowerMad

PowerMad

Aug 6, 2001
    He originally played classical guitar so that is where is gets his slightly different approach to plucking the strings.

Free strokes? sounds like something my friend and I would come up with when we play golf...

17. his slapping is really simple.. especially for people who have been playing for a while.. butI suck b/c I have never had formal lessons on how to slap.. b/c my teacher's a guitarist.. have you heard the song "Death Blooms"? He gets triplet pops going.. ahhh hehe. Sorry if that's easy for you, but I suck and I can't touch it. :)

18. it pains me that you fools think that this ryknow individual has talent, but fail to realize the powers that mark hoppus has at his disposal. hoppus is a madman.

19. I'm sure Hoppus is mad, but are you actually trying to suggest that he is a more talented bassist than Ryknow? That's crazy talk.

20. that is exactly what i am trying to suggest. i am suggesting the truth, nothing more.

not only are hoppus' skills far beyond those of 'ryknow,' he doesnt rely on gimmicks or parlor tricks to get ahead in the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.