Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mudvayne bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by king_truffle, Nov 14, 2002.

1. king_truffle

king_truffle

Apr 4, 2001
    Oshkosh WI
    Hey gang, I hope this is the right forum, if not sorry. Anyhow, I caught the new Mudvayne video the other day and to my surprise Ryknow is using a 4-string. Strange switch I thought because he used to play a 5-stringer. Can anyone pose any theories as to why this might happen? Myself, having a 4-string and then joining the 5-string crowd, I'm never going back. Don't know about anyone else, but lemme get peoples theories\opinions. Thanks gang.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just a clarification for starters - Ryan Martinie is no longer calling himself "Rynknow." The band members have changed their names again and he is now "R2-D2" or some nonsense like that.

Bassists change off instruments all the time. I alternate between 4's and a 5 in my bands sets depending on what is called for.

Plus, many find they're faster on a 4-string, especially if the string spacing isn't as close as it is on their 5's. And you know he likes to use that thumb.

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    the song doesn't require more than 4 strings, i would imagine...he's been using a four live for quite a while.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    He was useing GCGCF on his Thumbs, but I imagine he oped to go for CGCF, beings that in his set, I think he used the B (G) pretty sparingly, with the only super-noticable use of it is in Cradle...other than that, it would be just a couple tweaks to his lines to do everything on a 4.

5. Dear Mr. Moderater,

For the love of all that is decent and good, please close this thread.

Thank you,

Peoria Resident.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think he's kidding, Josh.......or, I sure hope Donne is.

7. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Uhhh....

1st. He tuned to standard tuning on his 5 string bass. He never played a note on the entire CD lower than a B.

2nd. The new CD the band tuned up to C instead of B (L.D. 50 was B Gb B E Ab Db with Ryknow BEADG standard.) The New CD is CGCFAD with Ryknow using a 4 string in CGCF.

Why, I don't know, probably because they wanted to explore other tunings.

8. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Sorry, I'm not that trigger happy. ;) :D

I'll hand it to R-what's-his-face though, he's a very talented player. I never got into discussing instruments or tunings, but to each his own, right?

Peace y'all.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Funny, he mentioned GCGCF in his Bass Player interview, by name, and continues on that he likes having two sets of octaves to work with...

10. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    That's wierd. It doesn't make any sense to have it tuned like that :confused:

I've downloaded tons of live videos from concerts by them, and he has it in standard tuning in all of those.

11. i thought their new album was a reissue of their first ever recording?

hmmmm
    *Si*

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    No, it's The End Of All Things To Come, and the reissue was The Beginning of All Things To End.

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

Yeah! C'mon get it straight!!! ;):D