Mudvayne's drummer.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I downloaded some live video to check them out. First of all, I don't see how someone could sit through an hour of that! :eek: Then again, some would say that about jazz! Anyway, all you hear is Ryknow this and Ru D that, blah, blah, blah. Even though he is good, that band would be nowhere without that drummer, IMO! He is BADASS! This guy is a friggin machine!
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    hmhmhmhm, maybe I should listen more closely...I wasn't too excited about them yet.

Anyway, I'm going to see Gene Hoglan on the 31st :cool:
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I can sit through both, no problem. I even enjoy both! I must be an idiot. Anyway, I agree that drummer (Matt?) is quite amazing. He's also very intelligent and well spoken.
  4. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, matt mcdonough is a badass...he rocks. and he punishes can tell he's putting 150% into it. i think he's got a great feel. i think ryan martinie is awesome and locks in quite well with matt, but i think that matt is a better drummer than ryan is a bassist. at least from what is displayed on the albums. i think one more thing :D matt and ryan should roll out and do a side project...that would rule. i dunno, though...they draw a lot of energy from the mudvayne thing.
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    He's impressive, but from an athletic, rather than a musical standpoint. He's one of those dudes who practices double bass rolls until he can do them in his sleep.
  6. herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    no way!!!!!

there is no way that the drummer is better as a drummer as ryan as a bassist

i mean...what the drummer does...most of my friends can do (they do emperor stuff and other extreme metal) instead ryan stuff i mean creativity and everything

is unique!

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I wish Ryan were a little louder in the mix, it would create a better feel between the two of them. I need to listen to the albums on my monitors, sounds to screechy in the car.
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Mudyane's Rhythm section needs to start a different band. I would loOoOoOoOoOve that!
  9. darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio

I seen him live. OMG he give 1000% He looked like he was about to die the whole time. But 1000% All the time. PS, in the drum world he gets mad Love. Hes amazing, check out the Dig dvd for more footage of him playing, he plays like a friggin god!
  10. most videos downloaded sound bad for one thing.bad mixes or just a bad copy. live they sound good, but only if the pa is good.i saw them 5 times ,and the 1 time they sounded bad it was beacause the speakers went .

about the ablums . only way metal sounds good is if its at 11.
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Woody, if you think that's cool, get the Live in Peoria DVD. It's mixed pretty well, and Ryand and Matt are WAY up in the mix.

They are way underrated due to the whole makeup thing (everyone yelled "gimmick"), but now even they are stopping that. Maybe they'll get "respect" now. :rolleyes:

If you can get past the singer, there's some really inventive rock going on under the screeching. I'm even growing fond of the guitar player, who really lets Ryan shine by choosing to really delve into texture based riffs and sounds. Not like say, Larry LaLonde, but he's really good at tying the whole thing together.

Props to Mudvayne.
  12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
  13. Yeah.

I would like to hear more bass...but, I would say, the ryhthme section definitely among the best out there.

the drummer kicks ass
  14. Man I love Mudvayne!! Well yeah their drummer plays really crazy. Just by looking at him makes me tired. Sometimes I think that the way he drums makes it look as if he's doing a lot when he's actually just drumming some easy stuff. The drummer from my band drums in a way like him but he doesn't get as crazy as Spag does.:bassist:
  15. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    spag? who's spag?
  16. word. they both kick mucho ass. mucho.
  17. Interesting that this is brought up....i just so happened to see mudvayne live last friday in grand rapids (front row...gotta love those small ass venues!)

There has almost never been such a talented pool of musicians such as this in the genre of heavy metal....heavy metal bands have sucked lately. Its all corporate crap or this immature punk stuff....i can teach my mother to play a punk song! (there are only 3 chords per song!) I think its the easy way out of being a band could write a good punk song in a day or less. It takes us about a week to write the stuff that we choose to play........real music with passion, emotion and talent!

Even though they are almost too heavy for my taste, i must say that their ability to write amazing, emotion inspiring music is a revolution.

They can put on a show too! I have never seen a band look so cool on stage....even though that doesnt matter too much...

18. spag is what the drummer is called from mudvayne. But since the new album I think they've all changed their names so I don't know what he's called now.