Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mudvyane bassist is badass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Wes I AM, Jan 8, 2001.

1. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    hey that bassist for Mudvayne is badass. he is. dont ya think? slappin, fingerin, funky!

2. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000
    Excuse me while I have a seizure......

3. mudvayne's bassist DOES rule. He can sure pack a rhythm.

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

Very awesome, see them live if you can. And he plays alot on fretless.

5. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Yeah man! Ryknow rocks out! Unlike most new metal/hardcore stuff, his bass *really* sticks out .. his fretless work is mad ass. Check out his hauntingly melodic solo 3/4 of the way through "Severed"!

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    He plays sort of like Les Claypool actually. It's funky, but it really works with the band. Live, he's nuts. I was blown away. He is going to be the next big thing in bass. I've got a five spot riding on that fact. If you ever get the chance to see them, go. I'm going to see them for the second time on Feb 15. He'll be on the cover of BP eventually. He's too good to be ignored.

7. bravotwozero

bravotwozero

Jan 13, 2001
    saw him live a couple of weeks ago.....
    I was blown away, best bass player in any nu-metal (or whatever label you want to put on it) band out there and he puts on a good show too.

=]

8. Yeah he rules. That's all I can say without getting carried away :D

9. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I've said it once and I'll say it again, think Les Claypool in Fear factory, and it works out perfectly! Listen to Severed, my fave song by them, his bass lines in that are just great. I really didnt expect a bass player of that skill in a band like this. Usually they just have some guy following the guitar's root's with a pick. He is easily one of my favorite bassists.

10. Hmmm, Slipknot's favorite band (no kidding, check out Spin)

Anyways, he IS actually pretty good! I just downloaded some of their songs, he needs to be louder though, he seems to get drowned out in the mix. I especially like Dig. What's his name?

11. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    his name is Ryan "Ryknow" Martinie .. and he rocks. Coolest member of Mudvayne, hands down. He has the biggest presence on stage, it's insane. See them live. Now.

12. If only they had a better singer.

13. that dude absolutely kicks ass!! i saw the video to one of their songs and he's well cool! not sure about that Darth Maul bloke though!!

14. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    RyKnow also uses Warwick Thumb 5 strings which makes me like him even more. that dude can spank those strings.

15. i might buy this CD, been trying to make an effort to get into more rock lately... some rock with shed hot bass sounds liek a good idea! - i'll post agin when I've heard it!

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's funny, I been telling people I know this very fact since May, and they said "Riiight" Now those same people are coming back and saying "DUDE! How did you know? This dude Rules!" And I'm laughing it's a great feeling to know something for a long time, and then have all the nonbelievers come crawling back having been converted.

Anyone else think he's gonna be on the cover of BP like I think he will?

17. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    yep, he'll definately be on the cover before too long. anyone have a prediction on the pose? i predict he'll be making a snarling face and holding his bass. hmm, yeah that sounds about right.

18. JimmyThePlumberMan

JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    Well, no, Mudvayne isnt popular enough yet for the cover. And don't expect this cover anytime soon, because he gets a small article in next months BP, and they arent going to run two of the same article within a few months of each other.

19. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    the only exposure ive had to them has been their video on mtv2. i really hope that this isnt going to be the next big thing in bass. im not seeing it, im not really that impressed by him, maybe its the ridiculous image that they convey that turns me away. i cant get with the whole satan rock thing. maybe that one song isnt a good representation of his abilities though. on a first impression when i saw the video, i laughed for about 15 seconds, then turned it off. but hey, thats the only song ive heard by them, maybe hes got other stuff going on that i havent heard.

20. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    dammit bro, don't do that yet. listen to them for a while and hear more of their music. They are not Satan rock. just listen to a song called Scurge and you'll realize that. Severed IS a good example of the bassist's playin but there are plenty of other songs. doesn't anyone here have Napster besides me?