1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

muff power!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TJBass, Aug 24, 2007.

1. I bought a powered pedal board last week and was wondering if the sovtek big muff needs a reverse polarity plug to be powered by the board and if so does all the EH stuff power like this?

I tried a search but ran out of time.

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Ran out of time? Dude, you didn't have to start a thread for that.

The answer to question #1: the Sovtek versions don't have power jacks; you'll need a battery clip adapter, or a 9V battery.

The answer to question #2: No, not at all. Most of the new EHX pedals use Boss-style jacks, but the ones in their classic enclosures use a variety of power jacks and voltages! And some of the new ones are oddly powered, too. It's all dependent on which pedal you look at.

The sad reality of EHX is that their effects can be a pain in the butt to power. :meh:

3. eah, not the best connection on m wireless here at work, I can only read approx 3 threads before it disconnects.

Thanks for the info, I will have to pick up a 9v battery adapter tomorrow. I'm going to try the 1/8 plug on my clone when I get home, I just hope I don't fry the pedal.

4. You may have to swap the neg. and pos. wires from any kind of pedal power. I had the same prob with my muff - everytime the muff got stomped my effects pedals all got turned off.:eek: Swapping the two wires did the trick.;)
    Good Luck.

5. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    My Slovtek Big Muff is unusably noisy with a 9v clip. I didn't try to reverse the ploarity and don;t think I should have to. (I'm using a 9v AC "wall wart" with a built on 9v clip.)

I am looking at buying a MohoMods MoMuff ( http://www.mohomods.com/modinfo.htm )to solve the AC power problem and get better sound out of the premium components.

6. I picked up a 1 spot 9v clip adapter today. I haven't checked to see if it as noisy as yours but I'll let you know.

I haven't had achance to check the clone yet either.

Thanks for all the info

7. Holy crap this muff is noisy with this adapter. I have the volume leveled but it is still noisy. I even turned the distortion knob down and it seemed to help but the noise is still recognizably there.

On good note, the clone survived and works great with the jack I used. So I assume the small clone isn't reverse polarity.

So what can be done about the noise, I wouldn't want to use it like this.

I assume swapping the wires in the adapter will not solve this? Would the muff work if the wires on the adapter were reveresed? Mabye I should cut the 9v connecter off and wire/mount in an ac adapter jack....or would this do nothing for the noise?