1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Muffer (not big muff) pedal anyone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassJunkie730, Jan 2, 2007.

1. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Has anyone here dared to build this highly complicated circuit?

http://www.muzique.com/schem/muff.gif

Moosapotamus, I'm looking in your direction.

If my suspicions are correct - this little guy would be perfect for bass.

The pedal is truly full range and darned simple.

I only wonder if I'm going to have problems with not being able to control the highs - I ALWAYS use my Big Muff with the tone rolled all the way down- so I may want to install some king of switch to approximate this.

I'm also wanting to use an OC140 NPN because I hear it's a smoother transistor - or is that all hocus pocus.

I know someone has to have built this.

2. Tone controls are easy to retro fit, or you could actually fit two extra components to permanently dull the top end.

There's probably something in the different transistor thing, although not as much as people try to make out. Also, a lot of the time it has more to do with the interaction of the transistor in the circuit than it does with the transistor itself. Different beta, Vbe, re etc all make a difference.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Actually, that looks enticing. I may try building that hopped up on Percocet later this week. It'll be an interesting effort to say the least.

4. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    What's w/ the stereo in???? Or am I just dumb...

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Standard method for disconnecting the battery when there's nothing plugged into the pedal.

Cord in = power. Cord out = no power. Save batteries.

6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    :cool:

7. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    :D

8. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I'm going to build a Bazz Fuss instead.

Just ordered the parts from small bear, which incidentally is about 2 miles away from me, but those guys keep everything mail order.

I guess i can't fault them, I would want guys like me hanging around the store all the time.

Anyway here's a link to the various soundfiles. http://www.home-wrecker.com/bazz.html

this thing has been around for a while. I'm going for rev 3 with LED for the clipping

I got a whole mess o' caps so I can season the bass just right.

Of course I'm going to start with 1uF on both the input and out and work down from there.

But I hope the thing sounds good with those as that will have the most amount of bass possible (that is with the caps I ordered)

I'll post some clips when I'm done in a week or so.

9. Steve is a legend. He's got all the stuff you can't find anywhere else. His "store" isn't a "store" it's a "store" (read that last one as "wharehouse" for you yanks) that's why you can't go there!

Good luck! The cold end of the soldering iron is the handle, ok! :smug:

10. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    "store"

11. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I prefer "station" ala B&T bogus journey

BUT,

The parts came yesterday, now all I need is a Drill and a multibit which I think I'll pickup after work today.

the bazz fuzz is an UBER simple circuit

but if I can make it work with a 1uf cap on both the input and output - I'll be happy as a clam.

This will be much more of a "muff" ish overdrive than a fuzz pedal.

I also think there is something very cool about have no indicator for when the pedal is on - you just hear it.

Of course I could just pop a small hole in the front of the box and set the LED so I can see it flash when the pedal clips - that would be even cooler.

I'll be sure to post clips when I'm done.