Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Muffled SWR?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EasyBass, Aug 10, 2001.

1. EasyBass

EasyBass

Nov 19, 2000
    Portland, Oregon
    I have been playing on my SWR 4004 working man stack and I have always thougth it was kind of muffled sounding, I just played off of my old Johnson Practice amp and it sounded better then my Stack, what the hell is with that?

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Check the tweeter Attenuator if there is any on the back.
    It may be off.

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    EZ Bass, you've probably already tried this but try both the passive and the active input on your amp. A really hot passive pup may need the attenuation that the active input provides. A lower than normal active pup may sound better through the passive input.

Check it out with just one cab and see if it clears up. If it does, you may have a phasing problem between the cabs. Unlikely but easy to check.

I have found that my 4004 doesn't really sound all that great at low volume practice levels. In a gig setting with higher volume levels it seems to open up and breathe better.

Now, I have a question for you. Does your 4004 have a limiter defeat switch? I have seen specs on the 4004 that says that they do. Mine doesn't.

If you are still in warrantee, don't let the warrantee run out if you do have a problem in the amp.

Pkr2

4. EasyBass

EasyBass

Nov 19, 2000
    Portland, Oregon
    Not knowing much about about amps yet I am not sure what that switch is, but I am pretty sure I don't have it. I have the Nob for the limiter but that is the best I can see.... SOrry

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Tnx, EZ Bass. the owners manual that came with mine mentions the limiter defeat switch being combined with the limiter control. It ain't there on mine.

Apparently it applied to earlier production runs or something.

Anyway, good luck with your problem.

Pkr2