Muh FBB is done! WELL done!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jon Chewning, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Thought I'd just toss these pix out there and let you bask in the beauty...

Cocobolo crotch top with cocobolo back and headstock veneer
    Mahogany core w/ wenge veneer
    Flame maple/bloodwood/wenge neck w/ macassar ebony cap on back
    34 inch scale
    Aguilar OBP3 preamp with Barts

It's supposed to ship any day now so I should have it by next week. The seconds are ticking by so slowly...

It looks like the pix are too big to post so I'll just attach these links:
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just GORGEOUS, Jon. Lots of artistry in the woods!!!!

I especially like the Bart soapbars. I love mine - great for slap or fingerstyle.

And nothing sounds as good as good cocobolo, to my bass-ears!!!!
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Looks great! FBBs always do though.
  4. Wow.............that truly is beautiful!!
  5. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    "That is the best-looking FBB ever!"®
  6. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    That looks awesome ! I should be receiving the first of two FBB's this week myself !!
  7. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA

Congrats Sport.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Crap. I shoulda got that FBB when I had the chance. Stupid education...
  9. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    That looks great!
  10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    whats his site agian?

11. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL

12. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I just have to say again how awesome that bass is ! It is truly beautiful...

I love cocobolo and that is lovely.

Of course, you will post clips when it arrives.;)
  13. Hell Don, I can't stop staring at it myself. I keep going back and forth between the freakin photos and the work I have to get done.

I may have to seek help...
  14. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    it's a heck of a top!
  15. Mmmm...Cocobolo...:) Nice bass! Here's a pic of the Cocobolo that will be the top on my next bass which is in progress (JAF).:)
  16. Well I got a box from the oh-those-of-perfect-timing Fedex twits Saturday. Ok, the box was in good condition, but I had waited all day expecting that I'd be playing it at a gig that night. I left at 7pm for the gig and they delivered it at 7:30.

So I got to open it when I got home at 3 in the morning. Better than waiting til Tuesday, I guess!

Anyway, here's the report:

The work on this bass is nothing short of superb. Matt obviously put a lot of work into the smallest of details that shows in spades. Pictures are obviously no match for the up-close and personal view of this instrument. The neck is perfect and it sits on me just right. It comes in a little heavy at about 11 lbs. but it's lighter than the 6-string I'd been playing, so it's not really a big deal. Besides I like a bass with a little heft.

Tonally, I've never played a bass that has such a wide range of different tones. I spent an afternoon exploring harmonics I'd never heard on other basses. I think the Aguilar OBP3 with the additional midrange band has a lot to do with bringing those out. But I get anywhere from a lovely piano-like modern tone to really nice warm, woody tone that just resonates for days. I haven't even tried it in a band setting yet! (no thanks to Fedex :rolleyes: oh well) And I can't wait to record this thing!

I can't say enough about Matt's work, and I really think that those of you considering a custom bass would be extremely satisfied with an FBB. I'm still surprised he hasn't raised his prices. Get one now!

:bassist: :D :bassist:
  17. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Great looking bass.
    Matt's stuff is the best.
    I've had my new FBB-fretless-6. for two week.
    It gets beeter ewvery day I play it.
  18. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Lovely warm look to that top wood.