's almost done.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Justice, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    wenge? it's gorgeous.
  2. OK, the pics looks cool!
    But what is almost done?
  3. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    That's like staring at the back of someones head & asking what color are their eyes. Where's the face picture?

But that wenge sure does look sexy!
  4. Looks like one of Budman's creations.
  5. :meh:

This was a waste of time. Something is almost done, no details. :ninja:
  6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Is this a Custom T-Bird?
  7. The headstock is unmistakeably a Lecompte. SO it's got to be one of his creations. None of Buds bodies have a bottom horn that exceeds the top, Including the single cuts (which this obviously is).

That body is definitely a custom request. I could of sworn Bud said he stopped doing those. But maybe this was thought up before hand. But I know for a fact its a Lecompte neck.

MORE PICS!!!!! :hyper: :D
  8. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    LeCompte thunderbird is my guess.
  9. Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    A while back, right after Bud started building basses, he built me a custom 5 string T-bird bass with a Moses Graphite Fender P bass neck. The bass was killer.

After I had it for a while I took it back to Bud to have him tweak the action some and set it up with a new set of DR strings.

While we were working on it we noticed some defects in the Moses neck. The fingerboard was cracking on the overhang. This was not too much of a problem since I don't play that high on the neck and if it would have broken off, we could have just reshaped the end of the neck. But when we went to put the new strings on it, the bass made this "twang" sound as we were tuning it up (the sound a string makes when it sticks in the nut and then pops loose when tuning). We didn't think much about that until a moment later when Bud finished that i heard him say "uh-oh, I think we have a problem. Look at the headstock"

When I looked, I could see that the headstock was BENDING between the 3rd and 4th tuning keys. Obviously, this was not a good thing.

Bud took pictures of the bending headstock and I sent them to Moses Graphite. Now, this neck was bought as NOS and had never been drilled or installed on any bass before Bud built the bass for me with it. Moses replied back that I must have bought the neck used and that it must have been improperly installed before, and that they could "try" to fix it for $85 (by "try" to fix it they meant putting a brace of some kind across the back of the neck) I wrote them back and explained AGAIN that the neck had never been installed and was NOS when I bought it. But I never heard back from them. I don't know what I really expected them to do, but they obviously didn't care enough about one of their own products.

So Bud and I talked and we decided to build a new neck for the F-Bird and in doing so, change the headstock to the LeCompte shape as opposed to a Fender shape. We went out and picked out and awsome piece of Wenge that Bud could get the neck and several fingerboards out of and Bud crafted me a Wenge/Wenge LeCompte neck for the F-Bird. All other aspects of the bass remain the same from when he first built it, now it just has an upgraded pedigree :D

You can see the entire progress of the original build and the build of the new neck here.

Bud is a true craftsman, and I'm happy to have a true "one of a kind" LeCompte bass :bassist: And no, he probably won't build anymore like this. If everything goes right, I should be picking back up from him tomorrow. :hyper:

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    One-piece wenge?
    I don't think that's such a good idea...
    Anyway, hope time will prove me wrong...
  11. Why wouldn't one piece wenge be a good idea? I thought it was a stable, dense hardwood?
  12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Stable, yes, dense, as hell, however, it has the bad habit of 1. cracking 2. spontaneously falling apart. Though these happen quite rarely, especially the 2, which usually only happens at the drying period, still, there's a risk. If you get a crack in a 1-piece neck, then... :meh:
  13. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Argh, that's hot!!! Although I think a Fender/Tbird-style headstock might look better on it. Hope it doesn't neckdive too much.
  14. chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Very "Halloweenish" :D ... Just in time!
  15. Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    well, if a wenge neck with a wenge fingerboard is good enough that Warmoth would build it, I don't think I'll be having a problem.

Thanks, it originally had a Fender headstock shape on the Moses neck, but when we decided to build the new neck I wanted the LeCompte headstock to make it identifiable as a LeCompte bass. As for neck dive, it did have that problem with the Moses neck. I wear a wide strap so it wasn't too bad. Bud says that this neck is actually lighter than the Moses neck, plus it has a shorter headstock as well so in therory it should balance better then before.
  16. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Dude that is Kick 344.

Thats right I didn't use shift.