Mulling over pickup routing options...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Apr 15, 2019.

1. EMG Geezer P kit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. EMG Geezer PJ kit

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Seymour Duncan Alnico MM SMB-4A + SD 9v STC-3M3 Preamp

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. EMG 35DC/CS Dave Ellefson + 9v Preamp kit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. DiMarzio Area J Noiseless Jazz Pickups (passive)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Carrots and I'll explain.

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Looking at doing up a rear-routed Short Scale Warmoth body with a burst finish. Ash body, maple neck.

What would configuration would you choose and why? Looking for thoughts and observations.
    • The last time I had EMGs, it was an active Spector with 35 series in it, and I thought it was a bit clicky. Many moons ago. I don't know which pickups were in it. Maybe the 35DC/CS combo is really nice?
    • I like the GZR P. How is the PJ set? Noiseless? Does it have some bite?
    • What about Music Man style aftermarket? Worth considering?
    Want something warm with good cut. Fingerstyle playing.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Whatever comes in chrome. Which for Warmoth probably means just TV Jones. Or Lace Bassbar. Yeah, Lace Bassbar, that’s the ticket. Or TV Jones. Hmmmm...

3. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Can you be a little more specific?

As a generic response, I'd say route for two soapbars and audition a bunch of different sets.

4. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Anything but a PJ setup, if it were my bass. I have no need for a bridge pickup.

5. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Well, I'd say that John Paul Jones' warmth, mids and a little dirt would pretty much nail it. I notice lately he is using EMG pickups.

Noiseless is a must.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  6. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    If you dig his sound (I sure do), then simply transfer the pickup placement, pickups, and electronics from his Manson signature bass (which is gorgeous, btw) to your build. I believe the electronics are stock EMG pieces, but Warmoth might not hook you up with the routing.

7. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    One challenge is getting there on a short scale bass. At a minimum, you need to translate pickup positions from 34 to 30 inch scale. But that may not be enough... I'd say either experiment (maybe on a mule), or take an educated guess. With the latter approach, I'd stick with the dual soapbar idea. In your case, EMG shape. Chances are, you'd like EMG electronics if you like his Manson sound. Or if that's not it, you can try many other pickups in the EMG 35 shape.

8. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    [​IMG]

That's what I'd do. That's what I did. I used Fender Super 55 pickups -- they don't make them any more, so I'd use some other dual-inline-coil hum canceling pickups in a future build.

sikamikanico likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021