1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Multi-band bassists, what's on your business card?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Joel S., Sep 26, 2008.

1. Joel S.

Joel S. Reserved for future witty use...

Jul 9, 2008
    I'm in a bunch of bands, 5 to be exact, an original band and a couple cover acts. I'm printing up a few business cards so I can approach bars and venues my side of the river and just network, only I'm torn on if I should put all the bands on the card.

Right now, I'm just printing out 10 on an ink jet for the original rock band, but I'd like to get some on some higher quality card stock because there's a pretty slick image of my 5 string on it that would look good in foil. To do that, I need to order more than just a handful.

So, do you guys list all the bands you're in, or just the one's you represent, or none of 'em? I thought about putting "Bassist for Hire", but I'm not really "for hire" per se.

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Maybe just put "Professional Bassist"

At the moment I'm only playing in one band at a time, so I would just put that. But if you put something like Professional Bassist you can tell the person of your different projects and they can contact you on which one they want to book.

3. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    I do business cards at my job and see people putting *way* too much information on them all the time.

Don't list all the bands, because then if you drop one you hafta redo all the cards. "Professional Bassist" is a good way to represent yourself, if you want to give kudos to the individual bands set up a website. All a business card needs is your name, what you do, and how to get a hold of you. Personally when I see an over the top business card I think of telemarketers and pyramid schemes :eyebrow: ;)

The inkjet way might be easier but it's a pita and doesn't look professional. Spend $30 and get some that won't run in the humidity :). For a while I was laminating our cards (got a bit expensive) to save them when they got set down on a wet bar. Also did some waterproof ones but the paper felt too flimsy. If I could find some nice looking plastic card type ones I'd do those to give out to venues, and keep the "normal" cheaper ones out by the tip jar for patrons....

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Here's mine:

(my name)
    String Bass, Electric Bass
    Jazz, Classical, and Contemporary Music
    Home: (number)
    Cell: (number)
    e-mail: (e-mail address)

5. alapantera

alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
    If you don't mind only printing on one side of the card, and a small add for the company on the back (just one line of text with their company name and website), then I'd check out www.clubflyers.com . You get 500 full color (one side), UV coated (glossy) cards for the price of shipping. Ended up costing me about $11 (which is a lot for shipping.... but still a good price considering).

As for the OP, you really just want to keep the important information on there. Three things mostly, 1.) your name, 2.) what you do/ job description, and 3.) contact information. Buisness cards that have too much information tend to look less professional. If you needed to add more information, like what band you were trying to network, you could always just write this information on the back of the card as you're handing them out.

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Joel S.

Joel S. Reserved for future witty use...

Jul 9, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback.

8. gretschman

gretschman

Nov 22, 2004
    Lewisville, TX
    Each band should have its own cards, and when you go to a venue as a representative of that band take their cards.

Your own cards don't need to mention any bands at all.

I play in four bands on a regular basis and with several others more occasionally. My cards just have my name, the word "Drummer," my phone numbers, email, website, and a nice line drawing of a drumset.

9. As a multi-instrumentalist (mainly Keys/Bass/Gtr) and producer/teacher, I use treble clef as the symbol on my card, along with my company name, my name and contact info.

Simple and classy look, is what I like. "Cute" and "Overblown" business cards do nothing for me.