1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Multi Bass Setup

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dbillow, Mar 28, 2006.

1. dbillow

dbillow

Mar 28, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Can anyone provide some advice and/or gear recommendations on using more than two basses through a single Ampeg SVT 3 Pro amp? I use up to 4 basses depending on the requirements and tunings. How can I make switching between basses quick and easy without losing signal? A stage hand to bring me the basses is not an option;) Thanks

2. You could use a 4-loop loooper (look at the one that david wilson is selling) and run the basses into the loop returns. Use the loop-engage switch to turn the basses on/off.

You could also talk to Loooper.com about making a box that only has returns. Basically 4 inputs and a single output, with stomp switches and LEDs for each input.

3. +1 on loooper.com.

David Boggs is the man for the job. He will custom build you what ever you need. You could get a box with four bass inputs, 7 effects loops and outputs to 94 amps if you asked nicely enough.

4. Buy a small 4 channel mixer. Watch out for the quality. Try it before you buy it to not loose some signal or to gain lots of disturbing rumbles or winds and rain through your amp .....
    The great advantage is that you can setup the volume and tone controlls for each bass seperately if you get one with a "mute" button on each channel.
    Pretty good and affordable stuff comes from Allen & Heath and Soundcraft. To mention just a few.
    Like this one:
    http://www.soundcraft.com/product_sheet.asp?product_id=136

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    The main thing to worry about using mixers is that you have a good impedance match. Many don't deal well with passive basses and guitars.

6. Doesn't the tonebone do something like that?

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Yep. It's a better choice than most made-for-mics-and-line-levels mixers.

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Would some of that issue be reduced if you ran each bass to a DI before the board?

If I was using 4 basses, different tunings, etc., I think a mixer would be nice. It might be nice to have a little different eq on each bass. You could also use different effects with aux sends, returns, etc.

9. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I run multiple basses and other fun stuff with a mixer. Never had problem with matching levels and its versitle for running effects and other chains.

I use an Alesis 12R rackmounted mixer, but that may be more than your looking for.